The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Top 10 most popular destinations   General Travel Discussion

Started Jan-22 by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 592 views.

Top 10 most popular destinations in the world

These are Tripadvisor's highest-rated, most-loved overall places for 2022:
1. Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2. London, United Kingdom
3. Cancún, Mexico
4. Bali, Indonesia
5. Crete, Greece
6. Rome, Italy
7. Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
8. Istanbul, Turkey
9. Paris, France
10. Hurghada, Egypt

Why Dubai?

"An always popular spot, Dubai has been slowly rising in the ranks of Tripadvisor's Travelers' Choice Awards over the past few years, and now in 2022 takes the crown of the number one most popular destination in the world," said Justin Reid, director of media, destinations and travel at Tripadvisor, in an email to CNN Travel.

"Dubai is an ultramodern city that has it all: golden beaches, world-class dining, and gorgeous hotels. Since the Travelers' Choice Awards are based on reviews of places to go, stay and things to do in destinations, to rank as the world's best means a destination has obtained stellar traveler reviews across all of its tourism sectors," Reid said.
"Despite the effects of the pandemic, Dubai still attracted visitors from near and far over the past year, and has stood out as their favorite place to go in a year when they really needed some excitement," he said.
For people who want to join the in-crowd in Dubai this year, rules for entry can be a bit complicated and depend on where you're coming from.
The United Arab Emirates, of which Dubai is a part, has opened applications for tourist visas to vaccinated travelers from all countries, apart from a dozen African nations.
More at
XanthoneS14

Feb-12

Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) said:

London, United Kingdom

I always wanted to go to London, United Kingdom but is sounds expensive. 

I'd like to go to Switzerland but I hear it's even more expensive.

krathyn 6 (Phantom7031)
Staff

I have been in Switzerland and there is some beautiful scenery. However there is a questionable attitude about Americans, despite their saying it is a neutral country.
I have also been to London and the fun in London is speaking almost the same language. It is just faster and seems quaint if you have read Shakespeare, Pilgrims Progress, or a King James Bible.
Meeting someone there who is aware of the differences and making comparisons is good for a laugh.
One that some people I knew noticed was the use of Let for Rent. So we would pass signs saying To Let. In our country they would say For Rent. It was tempting to fill in  an I and make the signs say ToILet. 

ROFL!    You would have done that if you could!

When my British friend came over he was astonished at certain things, like Walmart and how big it is, none of their stores are that big.   And when he told me almost no one in London has A/C as they normally don't need it, I was startled because they do have some hot summer days.

krathyn 6 (Phantom7031)
Staff

yes everything in the US is bigger than almost anywhere everywhere in the world. Even our streets are bigger.

In most of Europe streets are about half the size of ours and many are not much wider than our shopping cart aisles.

People walk, or ride bicycles, or take public transit a great deal more than they do here.  There are shops that specialize in various things but nothing like our gigantic supermarkets or gigantic pharmacy chains. 

The US is too car oriented and always  has been. Europe and Asia are way ahead of us in both public transit and train travel.

krathyn 6 (Phantom7031)
Staff

you are so right about that.

Happy Valentines Day 

See u in a bit

Likewise!   I leave in about an hour.

am100onthego

Feb-24

I'd like to visit New Zealand but current restrictions are scary.