The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Traveling with your pet?   General Travel Discussion

Started Jan-22 by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 329 views.

Flying with a dog for the first time? We asked a vet for advice.

A couple of months ago, I flew for the first time with a dog. My partner and I were bringing our foster dog, Bono, from New York to his forever home in Florida.

It was an interesting experience and one that we didn't feel prepared for – even by the time we boarded the plane. Having done it once, I was still curious about what a vet would advise pet owners do to prepare for flying with a beloved furry friend.

So whether it's your first time or you want to confirm you've been taking the proper precautions, I consulted Dr. Jeremy Kimmelstiel, an associate regional medical director at Bond Vet in New York City, on how to fly with a dog. 

This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.

Question: How would you advise people to prepare to fly with a pet?

Jeremy Kimmelstiel: Ensure you are aware of all rules and regulations put in place by your airline, the Transportation Security Administration and your destination before venturing to the airport with your furry friend. 

Chat with your vet about any concerns you may have for Fluffy or Fido well in advance of your trip. I would say 6-8 weeks before you're scheduled to depart if you can. This will allow time to update any necessary vaccinations, try out any medications prior to travel day and sort out any preexisting health concerns. Plus, if your destination requires travel paperwork, it may need to be on a very strict timeline. 

Acclimate your pet to their carrier. Leaving the carrier out in a comfortable place, such as the living room or your bedroom, will make them less anxious about getting into it to leave the house. 

Q: How does one tell what an airline requires?

Kimmelstiel: I would recommend checking your airline's website or calling their customer service department to find out exactly what is required for pets to fly on their aircraft. Airlines vary greatly in what they require, and requirements can be changed frequently. 

If traveling internationally, you should also check with your destination prior to departure to ensure your pet meets all health requirements for entry. 

More at

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2022/01/20/pet-flying-veterinarian-advice/6508873001/

Fluvi

Jan-27

Nuestras mascotas son un miembro de la familia, no son simplementes animales de compani­a. En www.fincasdetirusmo.com somos amigos de las mascotas y sabemos lo importantes que son en nuestras vidas, por tal motivo ofrecemos fincas recreacionales en donde puedes ir con tus mascotas sin nin inconveniente.relaxedmasksun_with_facerainbowfamily

Te invitamos a visitar nuestro sitio WEB y puedas observar nuestros inmuebles en alquiler, animate a visitar Colombia y disfrutar de su gente,sus paisajes y multiples expresiones culturales.

Edited 1/27/2022 3:07:53 PM ET by Phantom7031

In reply toRe: msg 2
krathyn 6 (Phantom7031)
Staff

rough translation:
Our pets are members of our families, not just animals for companionship. In

www. fincasdetirusmo.com we are friends of  pets and know how important they are in our lives, it offers places where you can go with your pets without them being an inconvenience. 
We invite you to visit this website which shows some places in Colombia where you can travel and tells about the people and customs there. 

krathyn 6 (Phantom7031)
Staff

please see rough English translation above

In reply toRe: msg 2
krathyn 6 (Phantom7031)
Staff

Yes my pets are always members of my family.. I have a cat who owns me.

Mis mascotas siempre son miembras de mi familia. Tengo un gato que me se habe. 

VeeAnn17

Feb-10

Thank you for this helpful information. It's a big help for us that can't leave our pets at home during vacations.  heart_eyes

You are very welcome  :)