The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mexico's Yucatan peninsula   Mexico/Cent. Amer./Caribbean

Started Jan-23 by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 277 views.

Mexico's Yucatan peninsula: A refreshing alternative to Cancun's tourist meccas

The unrivaled state of Yucatan dazzles visitors with a lofty collection of mind-blowing Mayan ruins, crystal-clear lapis lazuli waters in the Gulf of Mexico, and impressive colonial towns all rolled into one gorgeous landscape. Less than 200 miles from Cancun airport, the Yucatan state is a refreshing alternative to the mega-package-deal destination resort towns of Tulum and Playa del Carmen.

Many Americans don't have Yucatan on their radar as they generally flock to the sun-splashed beaches of Cancun – located further south in the Mayan Riviera – without realizing that they are only a short hop from less-crowded beaches in what was once the epicenter of the Mayan civilization and remains one of the world's most storied archaeological regions. Travel writer and photographer Nick Kontis takes you on a tour of the region.
The Yucatan is most famous for its Mayan ruins. There are as many as 2,7000 pyramids and other holy temple archeological digs in the state. Before the arrival of the Spaniards, Mayan society flourished with its prime citadel, Chichen Itza. Ruins remain sequestered in chock-full lush rainforests.
NICK KONTIS/SPECIAL TO USA TODAY
krathyn 5 (Phantom7031)
Staff

Mayan culture intrigues me. I bet I would like this.

Els (misselsa)
Staff

Jan-27

We did a trip to Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras to see Mayan Culture. Was very interesting.

I bet it was!  Videos I've seen are fascinating!

AioffeB

Jan-29

The Yucatan is lovely. Unfortunately, the gangs that control the drugs there have shot quite a few tourists, who are their largest customers, especially in the Tulum area.

This is sad, ruins things for everyone else.