The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Top-Rated Castles in Germany   Europe

Started Jun-3 by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 412 views.

Top-Rated Castles in Germany

With as many as 20,000 castles in Germany, tourists have plenty to choose from. These range from the poster child of castles everywhere – Nueschwanstein – to little-known ruins of medieval fortresses, and are so plentiful that this list can only spotlight a small fraction of them.

Nueschwanstein

Conceived in the mind of "Mad" King Ludwig of Bavaria as a fantasy retreat from the world, Nueschwanstein incorporates myth, Romantic literature, grand opera, and Teutonic chivalry in its architectural and decorative palette. The result is a cross between neo-Romanesque and neo-Gothic mixed with fairy tale, an exuberant concoction of spires, turrets, battlements, and pitched roofs set atop a rocky crag surrounded by forest.

As though a painted backdrop for this stage set, a jagged line of Alpine foothills rises behind the castle and forms breathtaking views that are framed by its windows. Only 15 of the 200 rooms planned for the castle were completed before Ludwig's death in 1886, but "rooms" hardly conveys the size or grandeur of the finished halls. The Throne Room, the Singers' Hall, Ludwig's bedroom, and other grandiose rooms are decorated in murals, mosaics, arcades and carved oak.

So popular is this tourist attraction that you need to reserve a visit several days in 

advance. 

Hohenzollern Castle (Burg Hohenzollern)

The third castle to stand on top of this mountain in Baden-Württemberg, Hohenzollern Castle is the ancestral home of the imperial family of Germany, the House of Hohenzollern. Their monarchy ended with the abdication of Kaiser Wilhelm II at the end of World War I, and many of the dynasty's royal artifacts are displayed here, including the Prussian royal crown and items belonging to Frederick the Great.

The original castle was built in the early 1200s but was destroyed in 1423. A bigger and more fortified replacement was built in 1454 but had fallen to ruin by the beginning of the 19th century.

In 1850, King Frederick William IV built the current neo-Gothic fortified complex, considered a masterpiece of 19th-century military architecture. The sumptuous palace sits inside a walled fortress, entered through an impressive gate.

The castle is still owned and occupied by the Hohenzollerns and is open to tourists year-round. Guided tours through show- and staterooms include glimpses into the family history, as well as royal treasures and gold and silver work, paintings, and royal robes. One of the top Christmas markets in Germany is held here on two weekends in early December.

Schwerin Castle (Schweriner Schloss)

Unlike many other castles, which sit atop steep hills or perch on rocky crags for defense, Schwerin Castle is almost entirely surrounded by water. Only a bridge connects it to Schwerin, the capital of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in northern Germany.

Its onion-domed cupolas, tea caddy tower, and pointed spires mark it as an example of Romantic Historicism, and it joins Nueschwanstein as one of Germany's prime examples of the style. In fact, it is sometimes nicknamed "Nueschwanstein of the North."

Its origins go as far back as 973, and a castle has stood on the islands ever since, becoming the seat of the Dukes of Mecklenberg. In late Gothic times, the dukes changed the fortress into a palace more representative of their increasing wealth

and power, replacing some of the defenses with more ornamental additions; in the mid-1500s, bastions were added that are still standing today.

In the mid-1800s, Grand Duke Friedrich Franz II ordered a complete reconstruction that retained only parts of the 16th- and 17th-century building. The results were the current somewhat fanciful castle/palace, which underwent a massive preservation following the reunification of Germany. The opulent interior gleams once again; the highlight is the magnificent Throne Room. 

More at

https://www.planetware.com/germany/top-rated-castles-in-germany-d-1-18.htm

BerrySteph

Jun-12

I thought Wales was the most heavily castled nation on earth?

Germany looks like they beat them!

BerrySteph

Jun-17

German castles were probably owned and operated by local war-lords - but I  somehow suppose that Welsh castles were owned and operated by the English occupation.

Making the Welsh the most historically oppressed nation in the world, ever.

That does seem to be the case, I would agree they were owned by the English.

BerrySteph

Jun-17

Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1) said:

That does seem to be the case, I would agree they were owned by the English.

I'm hearing that any Welshman who expresses that view gets abuse for it.

Why? Well, they're the natives aren't they. Immigrants from outside of the UK get hours of screen and radio time to glorify their culture and express their rage at the way their ancestors were treated.

The Welsh only get abuse for bitching about their racial oppression.

Nothing these days surprises me, some don't like the truth.

Hi--we were able to take a tour of the Linderhof castle, the smaller of King Ludwig's 3 castles. It was in 1979, and I managed to snap a picture of that gorgeous, huge candelabra hanging in the King's bedroom, and  one more of his bed, before the noise of my Polaroid drew way too much attention, so I decided I'd better skip taking any more!  I was able to take more pictures outside, though, and we were standing on the left side of the castle[left side when facing it], when the fountain was turned on--I think I got a shot of it, too, but it's been awhile since I got out the old photos and took a look at them. :)  

We wanted to take a tour of Neuschwanstein, too, but someone told us that we needed our passports, unless we wanted to drive the long way around to reach it--we'd left ours at home in Karlsruhe, which was a really dumb mistake, so we had to settle on Linderhof instead--that was ok though, since our kids were very young, and a longer tour might have ended with them bored out of their little minds. :)