The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

VA town has every thing for everyone   U.S.A

Started Aug-14 by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 105 views.

This Small Virginia City Is the Perfect Home Base for Beautiful Hikes, Scenic Drives, and an International Dark Sky Park With Epic Stargazing

When I arrived in Lexington, Virginia, I exclaimed loudly and to no one in particular, "They should make movies here." As it happened, a gentleman standing on the sidewalk nearby was a film critic. "Oh, they have," he said, pointing to the side of a brick building. "That sign," he continued, "was painted for the movie, 'Sommersby,' with Jodie Foster and Richard Gere. It's very similar in size and style to a sign that was there originally, so they kept it."

I wasn't surprised to learn that Hollywood had already discovered Lexington. If it wasn't for the sight of modern-day vehicles driving down the street, a visitor to the area could easily be lured into believing they'd stumbled back in time. The shops, hotels, and restaurants in the historic district occupy brick buildings built in the 18th and 19th centuries. Even the sidewalks are made from antique brick with a textured pattern of lines and circles produced between the late 1800s and early 1900s. Lexington brick, the locals call it, and throughout my visit, I consistently bumped into people wearing earrings and necklaces embossed with the design.

More at

https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/lexington-virginia-hotels-restaurants-activities?utm_campaign=travelandleisure_travelleisure&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=62f8ee178127410001ae4e0c