The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The 13 Best U.S. Road Trips   U.S.A

Started Aug-15 by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 114 views.

The 13 Best U.S. Road Trips, According to T+L Editors

New York City to Montauk

"My husband is from Long Island and grew up going to Montauk every summer. Back then, it was a small fishing town; now, it's a sophisticated beach getaway with five-star hotels like Gurney's and breezy summer restaurants like the Crow's Nest. Both versions — old and new — have their appeal, and vestiges of the past remain, don't get me wrong. So, once or twice a year, we rent a car and make the trek out from Manhattan to see friends and be out East, as they say. The drive itself is a lot of unexciting highways, but I do get excited when we hit the countryside and the road narrows to two lanes — you know you are nearly there. My favorite place remains the red-and-white striped Montauk Lighthouse, the true eastern end of the island and a National Historic Landmark. It's a reminder of Montauk's maritime past, and just being that close to the sea is healing, in and of itself." — Jacqueline Gifford, Editor-in-Chief

Highway 1 California Coast (Los Angeles to San Francisco)

"Throughout my childhood, my family often road-tripped up the California coast, from our home in Pasadena to San Francisco. We typically stretched it out over at least a week, stopping for a few days in each of our favorite cities. We'd grab tacos at La Super-Rica, Julia Child's favorite hole-in-the-wall in Santa Barbara, and olallieberry pie at Linn's Fruit Bin in Cambria. We'd visit Hearst Castle in San Simeon, the boardwalk in Santa Cruz, the shops along Ocean Avenue in Carmel, and, of course, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which I loved for its touch tanks and sea otters. Anytime we stopped at a beach, I'd clamber over the rocks with my mom, searching for tide pools and the critters that occupied them. We'd be zonked by the time we finally reached San Francisco, but that didn't stop us from hitting up the Embarcadero sights and Fisherman's Wharf. I'm working on convincing my husband to repeat the trip, so we can stay at all the places I never did as a kid, like Hotel CalifornianCarmel Valley RanchPost Ranch Inn, and The Inn Above Tide." — Sarah Bruning, Senior Editor

Santa Fe to Los Angeles

More at