The Virtual Traveler

Hosted by Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Travel the world with us. Watch and share videos and photos, and also get some amazing travel deals and sales. If you've explored the world, or wish you could, this forum is the starting point for your journeys. Relax and enjoy the world.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Beautiful North Carolina Lake Getaway   U.S.A

Started Dec-2 by Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1); 101 views.

The Beautiful North Carolina Lake Getaway You've Probably Never Heard Of

When I yearn for a weekend of Southern hospitality and relaxation, I do what many people wouldn’t: I head home. From Asheville, I drive along Highway 64, crossing the mountain ridgeline and leaving Nantahala National Forest behind as I emerge into a long valley. Here, Lake Chatuge awaits. It’s a little-known getaway near my hometown of Hayesville, and I come to soak up some sun and enjoy the fresh air.    

Lake Chatuge, constructed by the TVA in 1942, is uniquely positioned in the middle of the Georgia-North Carolina state line, so you can technically swim in two states in one day. With 132 miles of shoreline, it’s a destination that doesn't require an expensive lodge, private beach rental, or long lines to park and enter. For me, it’s a place to gather with family, catch up with old friends, or — in this weekend’s case — relax on a solo trip.     

More at

https://www.travelandleisure.com/lake-chatuge-north-carolina-6740526?utm_campaign=travelandleisure_travelleisure&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=6389d244239b0200013bc15e