MRCROSSROADS

Linux Cafe

Hosted by MRCROSSROADS

The Linux Cafe is for Linux gurus, novices and the curious alike. Catch up on the latest in Penguin Land.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Favorite Text Editor   Shells / Scripting / Commands

Started Nov-23 by MRCROSSROADS; 137 views.
MRCROSSROADS

Poll Question From MRCROSSROADS

Nov-23

Favorite Text Editor
  • vi/vim2  votes
    50%
  • emacs0  votes
    0%
  • nano0  votes
    0%
  • pico0  votes
    0%
  • Other (What?)2  votes
    50%
vi/vim 
emacs 
nano 
pico 
Other (What?) 
Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Nov-23

I recognized none of your choices.

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Nov-23

What do you use when editing from the command line?

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Nov-24

I have no idea, since I stopped using Basic many long years ago, I'll leave programming up to the guys in the dark back room.

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Dec-8

I  chose emacs though in reality I'm not really religiously attached to  any of  them. I'm actually using vi the most at work just because we standardized on it since it's  installed by default (emacs you have to  add). On the few servers where I'm going to be doing extensive writing/scripting I'll install emacs.

I've always identified vi as a good quick-hit editor and emacs for bigger editing projects. Though they're both just fine for either truth be told.

nano's a great simple little editor also.

MRCROSSROADS
Host

Dec-11

It seems most people prefer emacs. What little bit I can do I learned with vi. You do much more with a text editor that me. :-)

CDP (PerraultC)
Staff

Dec-13

Most of the stuff I do these days is viewing/editing config files and logs. Some scripting too but I can get by with either. To this day I'm not that deep into the features of either. Emacs especially could probably stand to be stripped down some. The conditions which led to it being almost a mini-OS back in the day no longer apply. I have zero interest in the games and other goofy plugins that come with it. I do like the editing features that I do use though.

The Chief (BowWave)

Dec-14

Since moving to Linux (10 or so years back), Kwrite seems to be all that I ever use.  Has syntax highlighting, code collapsing, etc, so it does fine for my minor uses (mostly editing html files, now-a-days). 

Back in my DOS/Windows actual programming days, I used Qedit for years (which became the Semware Editor after they discovered the name Qedit was owned by someone else) on both MS-DOS and Windows.  Then I discovered UltraEdit (which is available for all three major OS's) and is a fabulous text editor... 

Along the way, I convinced my employer to make them the standard text editor for all employees.

I still miss the "Find in files" and "Replace in files" features of UltraEdit...   It also had the ability to insert a file listing from a directory, which was useful in creating documentation.  If the price had not escalated to $100 (from $30), might consider buying a copy for Linux.