MRCROSSROADS

Linux Cafe

Hosted by MRCROSSROADS

The Linux Cafe is for Linux gurus, novices and the curious alike! And it entails far more than you might think. Operating systems such as Chrome OS, Android, WearOS, Tizen and many others. In fact, unless you're specifically running a Windows-based machine, chances are you're running Linux in some form or fashion. From your computer to your tablet to your smartphone and right down to your favorite wearables, chances are they have the Linux kernel at their core. So come, join us, and see the world of Linux through new eyes!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Hello   General Discussion

Started Mar-5 by CHMEEE1; 488 views.
CHMEEE1

Mar-5

I'm a long time Linux user. Mr crossroads sent me an invite to one of his political boards, and I lost the link to it, so I'll sneak in the back door through this one :-). (Send link please?)
I'm a user, not programmer. I retired in '05 as a hardware tech, and most of my equipment is "vintage"
I've been playing with computers since 1979, and the first work I did on one was upgrading the ram in my model ONE trs80 (4k wasn't enough to play star trek, it required 16k, and a LOT of typing basic)
My current set up is: one desktop with 6gigs ram, 1.5 TB hard drives(2 of 'em to total that much) on a 32 inch monitor... Two android Fablets so identical that I switch the phone service chip as necessary, and straight talk doesn't know.) One old dell laptop That I can wipe the moss off and use if necessary, and other antique parts and pieces to play with.
I'm currently running the newest release of Ubuntu... Can't remember the number but it replaced "bionic beaver".
My oldest(still working) copy of Ubuntu is 11.4. I loaded it into the laptop a few weeks ago for some reason, and still have it on a replaceable drive.
Anyway, I'm burning out on laughing at liberals, and looking around for new places to hang out, so links are welcomed. My political position is just slightly to the right of Attila the hun. Ex cop, ex firefighter, ex musician (50 years on stage till my hands quit) also an animal lover. Dogs preferred but I'll pet anything that wants to be petted.
Running on too long, nap time for me.
MRCROSSROADS
Host

Mar-5

Welcome man, great to see you here! I wish we had more traffic here. Just not a ton of Linux users on Delphi I guess. :-(

All of my machines are now running MX Linux. I had used Linux Mint for a few years but switched to MX Linux a couple years ago. My favorite distro now.

I granted you Voice. Feel free to sling your thoughts about in here. lol

The forum I invited you to was http://forums.delphiforums.com/therightside

Stop by there anytime too.

CHMEEE1

Mar-6

Thanks.
My son in law tries every new distro out there, so he may have a copy already on something. I always tell him to save the isos to a storage drive.
I'll drift over and check your political forum.

CHMEEE1

Mar-6

K. Been there a few times over the years, will check in more often.
I thought your nic looked familiar.
CHMEEE1

Mar-7

Yep. Same ol' feller. :-) its possible that you got me started in the Linux game. Were you using pclos about 10 years ago?
Yep - I started using it about 13 years ago.  Dusl booting then, and dropped Windows completely after about a year.
ally (JadedAlly)

Mar-15

Welcome in.  Always glad to see new faces.  I use Mint and have for a few years now.  I've found it steady and reliable.  I have no intentions of switching to Windows again.  Also glad to see another sane person on the right.  :)

CHMEEE1

Mar-15

:-) are there sane people that are not on the right?
My "go to" is has been Ubuntu for several years, but I'm currently testing zorin on a desktop. My son in law couldn't load it (he has problems reading ALL the instructions) (-:
So I loaded the core version just to play around. I think his all time favorite is the same as yours, but like me he'll try new distros just for fun. Try the "live cd" version on a thumb drive, and if it looks interesting, actually install a copy to a swappable hard drive.(we each have several small ones)