Scifi/Fantasy/Action (Read-Only Folder)  -  Drop Dead Diva on Lifetime (1249 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/9/07 10:53 AM 
To: All  (1 of 74) 

Source: scifi.com

Fox Buys Drop Dead Script

Fox has picked up the script Drop Dead Diva, a supernatural-tinged legal hour from Josh Berman, Variety reported.

The drama with comedic undertones revolves around an uninspired model-in-training who suddenly dies and finds her soul entering an overweight, less attractive female attorney. Twentieth Century Fox TV is behind the project.

Reply   Options 

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/6/08 5:28 PM 
To: All  (2 of 74) 
 16179.2 in reply to 16179.1 

Source: Zap2it.com

Margaret Cho Assists Lifetime's 'Diva'

Comedian joins Jackson Hurst in dramedy pilot

August 4, 2008

Margaret Cho
Margaret Cho
Margaret Cho has booked a scripted TV job in addition to her upcoming reality show.

The comedian has joined the cast of Lifetime's "Drop Dead Diva," a pilot about a dead model/actress whose soul ends up in the body of a brilliant but rather frumpy lawyer. Jackson Hurst has also signed on to the show, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Brooke Elliott stars in "Drop Dead Diva" as Jane, the attorney who becomes the new home for the soul of Deb, a self-absorbed party girl who gets a chance to redeem herself when her soul ends up in Jane's body. Cho will play Jane's assistant, while Hurst ("The Mist," Lifetime's upcoming "Living Proof") will play a lawyer -- and ex-boyfriend of Deb's -- who takes a job at Jane's firm.

Cho, and her parents, will star in "The Cho Show," a slice-of-life reality show that premieres on VH1 later this month. The former "All-American Girl" star appeared in several episodes of "'Til Death" last year; other recent credits include Sci Fi's miniseries "The Lost Room" and "One Missed Call."

Josh Berman ("Vanished," "CSI") wrote the "Drop Dead Diva" pilot and is executive producing with Craig Zadan and Neil Meron ("A Raisin in the Sun").

Visit the original forum for fans of Reba McEntire:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/rebarules/start

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/17/09 3:19 PM 
To: All  (3 of 74) 
 16179.3 in reply to 16179.2 
LIFETIME TELEVISION PICKS UP HOUR-LONG COMEDIC DRAMA SERIES DROP DEAD DIVA FROM CREATOR/EXECUTIVE PRODUCER JOSH BERMAN AND EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS CRAIG ZADAN AND NEIL MERON
Released by Lifetime
[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

LIFETIME TELEVISION PICKS UP HOUR-LONG COMEDIC DRAMA SERIES DROP DEAD DIVA FROM CREATOR/EXECUTIVE PRODUCER JOSH BERMAN AND EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS CRAIG ZADAN AND NEIL MERON

Stylish Series Strengthens Lifetime Television's Expansion of Bold Original Programming

Newcomer BROOKE ELLIOTT and MARGARET CHO Star in All-New Series from Sony Pictures Television

LOS ANGELES, CA (January 16, 2009) Lifetime Television today announced the pick up of Drop Dead Diva, a spirited new comedic drama series that puts a uniquely compelling twist on the age-old battle between brains and beauty. Drop Dead Diva tells the story of a shallow model-in-training who dies in a sudden accident only to find her soul resurfacing in the body of a brilliant, thoughtful and plus-size attorney. Drop Dead Diva is produced by Sony Pictures Television and is set to premiere on Lifetime Television in the Summer 2009.

"I couldn't be more excited about Drop Dead Diva," said JoAnn Alfano, Executive Vice President, Lifetime Networks. "It's the type of show that truly enhances the Lifetime brand the duality of emotionally compelling drama with an equal balance of humor."

"In 2008, we introduced some terrific new programming to the Network, and Drop Dead Diva is the perfect complement to our schedule," continued Alfano.

ABOUT DROP DEAD DIVA

When beautiful-but-vapid model wannabe Deb has a fatal car accident, she suddenly finds herself in front of Heaven's gatekeeper, Fred, who declares her a self-centered "zero." Outraged, she attempts to persuade Fred to return her to her shallow existence but is accidentally relegated to the body of the recently deceased Jane Bingum (Brooke Elliott). A brilliant, thoughtful and plus-size attorney with a loyal assistant (Margaret Cho), Jane has always lived in the shadow of her more comely colleagues whereas Deb has always relied on her external beauty. Now, by a twist of fate and a bolt of divine intervention, both personalities must learn to coexist in Jane's plus-size frame in the ultimate showdown between brains and beauty.

Drop Dead Diva is produced by Sony Pictures Television for Lifetime Television. Josh Berman (Bones, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation) is creator and executive producer. Craig Zadan and Neil Meron (Academy Award-winning Chicago, Hairspray, Lifetime's Living Proof) of Storyline Entertainment are executive producers.

The launch of this brand new comedic drama builds on a year of success for Lifetime Television. The Network's hit drama Army Wives is the #1 rated and most watched original drama on cable among women 18-49. In addition, Lifetime was home to both the #1 and #2 original movies on cable among women viewers in 2008, with a line-up of stars including Dermot Mulroney, Emily Watson, Gretchen Mol, Shirley MacLaine and Harry Connick, Jr. Lifetime also recently acquired the widely popular series WifeSwap and How I Met Your Mother. And, in an expansion of its fresh original programming slate, the network launched the hit sitcom Rita Rocks, starring Nicole Sullivan. January 2009 also saw the premiere of the new reality series DietTribe, featuring rising star Jessie Pavelka.

ABOUT SONY PICTURES TELEVISION

Sony Pictures Television is one of the television industry's leading content providers. It produces and distributes programming in every genre, including series, telefilms, theatrical releases and family entertainment for network and cable television, as well as first-run and off-network series for syndication. With more than 25 programs on the air, SPT boasts a program slate that includes the top-rated daytime dramas and game shows, landmark off-network series, original animated series and critically acclaimed primetime dramas, comedies and telefilms. SPT also owns one-half of cable channel GSN and is a partner in FEARnet, the premier horror/thriller website and VOD service. Sony Pictures Television oversees all of Sony Pictures Entertainment's (SPE) domestic digital distribution efforts across all electronically delivered platforms, including the internet and mobile. Sony Pictures Television, advertiser sales, is one of the premiere national advertising sales companies, handling the commercial inventory in SPT syndicated series as well as in all of SPE's digital businesses in the United States, for Sony BMG and for the Tennis Channel, and is part owner of national media sales company ITN Networks, Inc. SPT (www.sonypicturestelevision.com) is a Sony Pictures Entertainment company.

ABOUT LIFETIME TELEVISION

Lifetime is a diverse, multi-media company, committed to offering the highest quality entertainment and information programming, and advocating a wide range of issues affecting women and their families. Lifetime Television, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Real Women and Lifetime Digital (including myLifetime.com) are part of Lifetime Entertainment Services, a 50/50 joint venture of the Hearst Corporation and The Walt Disney Company.

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/21/09 9:07 PM 
To: All  (4 of 74) 
 16179.4 in reply to 16179.3 

Lifetime Will 'Drop Dead' This Summer

Network picks up dramedy 'Drop Dead Diva'

By Rick Porter

January 21, 2009

Margaret Cho
Margaret Cho
Lifetime has given life to "Drop Dead Diva," a dramedy about finding inner beauty -- even if that inner beauty is really kind of obnoxious.

The show, which was initially developed at FOX before ending up at Lifetime, will premiere in the summer. It joins a lineup of original shows that includes "Army Wives," "Rita Rocks" and unscripted series "Diet Tribe" and "Blush."

"I couldn't be more excited about 'Drop Dead Diva,'" says JoAnn Alfano, Lifetime's executive vice president. "It's the type of show that truly enhances the Lifetime brand -- the duality of emotionally compelling drama with an equal balance of humor."

"Drop Dead Diva" stars Broadway actress Brooke Elliott ("Wicked," "Taboo") as Jane Bingum, a smart and thoughtful lawyer who nonetheless feels overshadowed by her more attractive colleagues. After a near-death experience, she finds herself sharing her body with the soul of Deb, a vapid model who has just died in a car accident and has argued her way back to earthly existence. Brains vs. beauty-based complications ensue.

Margaret Cho also stars as Jane's assistant.

Josh Berman ("Vanished," "CSI") created the series and will executive produce with Craig Zadan and Neil Meron ("Hairspray," "Chicago").

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host5/4/09 9:37 PM 
To: All  (5 of 74) 
 16179.5 in reply to 16179.4 

Margaret Cho geared up for 'Dead'

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Comedienne Margaret Cho knows a great deal about Hollywood's obsession with body image.

Margaret Cho co-stars in an upcoming Lifetime Television series, "Drop Dead Diva."

Margaret Cho co-stars in an upcoming Lifetime Television series, "Drop Dead Diva."

The once-zaftig actress is co-starring in a new series for Lifetime titled "Drop Dead Diva" about a brilliant plus-size attorney who finds her body inhabited by the soul of a shallow wannabe model.

The Sony Pictures Television-produced show debuts July 12 and stars Broadway actress Brooke Elliott as lawyer Jane Bingum.

Cho plays Bingum's gal Friday, Terri, and it's a more serious role than fans might expect of Cho, known for her irreverent, and often political, humor.

She recently spoke with CNN about her new project, how President Obama helped inspire her upcoming music album (seriously, she really does have a music album coming out) and why some folks in the gay community are a little peeved with her.

CNN: What drew you to this particular character in "Drop Dead Diva"?

Margaret Cho: I thought, what a wonderful part. To me, it's kind of like Moneypenny in James Bond. [My character] gives Jane all of her assignments and gets her on track with this amnesia story that she gives her.

It's a comic foil, but I also kind of help her back into the world, and I love that sort of midwifery character. It's very fun.

CNN: You've talked before about your less-than-positive experiences working on a sitcom ["All-American Girl"]. Any apprehension about doing this series?

Cho: I've been back to TV doing stuff now for a couple of years. I have a lot more confidence and a lot more awareness about what I would like to do. And I think television has really changed in a good way.

This show, I absolutely love. It's really funny, but it's also touching. It has a lot of heart, and I think the acting is really incredible. I'm really proud to be a part of this show. Video Watch Cho talk about her new series »

CNN: How do think television has changed?

Cho: There's more diversity in general. There are like two more Asian people on television now then there was 10 years ago, and that's pretty impressive. Before, it was just me and Connie Chung, but now there's me, Sandra Oh and Connie Chung.

Wait, Connie Chung's not on anymore, so there's Ann Curry. She's kind of Asian-adjacent.

CNN: I loved your VH1 reality show, "The Cho Show." Your parents were great on that.

Cho: They're so famous now among Koreans. They can't go anywhere anymore!

CNN: You are such an icon in the gay community, but some people took you to task for an interview with The New York Times where you said you identified yourself as gay, although you are married to a man.

Cho: I identify as queer. I've had a lot of same-sex relationships in my life, and I guess it would be bisexual, but to me it's more appropriate to say I am queer. I am also attracted to transgender persons, and bisexual doesn't cover it. I feel like being queer is my politics, it's my life; it's the community I do the most political work in, for the gay, lesbian and the transgender community.

Being married made it much more important for me to fight for gay marriage, because I believe marriage is vital for us as people.

CNN: How important is it to have a show like "Drop Dead Diva" which features a main character who is plus-sized?

Cho: I don't think of her as plus-size. I just think of her as beautiful.

I think people are going to fall in love with Brooke and the character Jane and realize that beauty comes in all sizes. That's something we are trying to promote with the show. Video Watch Brooke Elliott talk about her character »

The idea of being plus-size is somewhat ridiculous, because most women are. I mean, I am, and most women are.

CNN: You, plus-size? You are so tiny!

Cho: But I'm not a size 4, and that's the standard in Hollywood. When you look at women in movies and TV, it's an unrealistic view of what women really look like. With the show, we are promoting a real woman who is beautiful with real curves, has a real attitude and is fabulous.

CNN: You make so many people laugh. What makes you laugh?

Cho: I'm kind of crazy about "Flight of the Conchords" right now, and I love Sarah Silverman. I love music and comedy, and that's my new my passion, trying to do some funny songs. I love Weird Al Yankovic, and he's kind of my hero, so that's the direction I want to go in right now.

CNN: You have an album coming out next year. What's the title?

Cho: "Guitarded," because it's just so guitarded and silly. There are songs on the album that are super dirty and super silly.

I did so much hard-hitting, political critique humor for so many years, and now I feel like the world has changed a lot, especially with Obama in office. I feel like I don't have to be as angry with the government and the status quo anymore.

CNN: Are there any song titles you can share with us, keeping in mind that we are trying to be family-friendly here?

Cho: Then, no, I don't think so. I think people are going to have to buy the album if they want to know titles.

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/11/09 4:52 PM 
To: All  (6 of 74) 
 16179.6 in reply to 16179.5 
LIFETIME TELEVISION SETS JULY 12 PREMIERE FOR ALL-NEW COMEDIC DRAMA SERIES 'DROP DEAD DIVA' STARRING EXCITING NEWCOMER BROOKE ELLIOTT
Released by Lifetime
[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

LIFETIME TELEVISION SETS JULY 12 PREMIERE FOR ALL-NEW COMEDIC DRAMA SERIES 'DROP DEAD DIVA' STARRING EXCITING NEWCOMER BROOKE ELLIOTT

Stylish 13-Episode Series from Sony Pictures Television is Created by JOSH BERMAN and Executive Produced by BERMAN, ALEX TAUB, CRAIG ZADAN, NEIL MERON and DAVID PETRARCA

Ensemble Cast Includes MARGARET CHO, JACKSON HURST, KATE LEVERING, APRIL BOWLBY, JOSH STAMBERG and Features BROOKE D'ORSAY and BEN FELDMAN

Season Guest Stars Include ROSIE O'DONNELL, TIM GUNN, SHARON LAWRENCE, KATHY NAJIMY, JORJA FOX, TERI POLO, ELLIOTT GOULD, CHUCK WOOLERY and DIEDRICH BADER

LOS ANGELES, June 8 -- Sometimes life throws you "curves," so, on Sunday, July 12 at 9PM ET/PT get ready for Lifetime Television's premiere of Drop Dead Diva. The one-hour, comedic drama tells the story of a shallow model-in-training who dies in a sudden accident only to find her soul resurfacing in the body of a brilliant, plus-size and recently deceased attorney. Television newcomer and stage actress Brooke Elliott (Wicked, Taboo) stars alongside Margaret Cho (Notorious C.H.O.), Jackson Hurst (The Tree of Life), Kate Levering (Cashmere Mafia), April Bowlby (Two and a Half Men), Josh Stamberg (Lie to Me), Brooke D'Orsay (How I Met Your Mother) and Ben Feldman (The Perfect Man). The 13-episode series - not simply a "feel good" show, but rather a "feel everything" comedy - joins Lifetime's Sunday night line up featuring Army Wives, the #1 rated and most watched original drama on cable among women 18-49.

ABOUT DROP DEAD DIVA

When beautiful-but-vapid model wannabe Deb (D'Orsay) has a fatal car accident, she suddenly finds herself in front of Heaven's gatekeeper, Fred (Feldman), who declares her a self-centered "zero." Outraged, she attempts to persuade Fred to return her to her shallow existence but is accidentally relegated to the body of the recently deceased Jane Bingum (Elliott). A brilliant, thoughtful and plus-size attorney with a loyal assistant, Teri (Cho), Jane has always lived in the shadow of her more comely colleagues whereas Deb has always relied on her external beauty. Now, by a twist of fate and a bolt of divine intervention, Deb must come to terms with inhabiting Jane's curvier frame in the ultimate showdown between brains and beauty.

Guest stars throughout the first season of Drop Dead Diva include Rosie O'Donnell, Tim Gunn, Sharon Lawrence, Kathy Najimy, Jorja Fox, Teri Polo, Elliott Gould, Chuck Woolery and Diedrich Bader.

Drop Dead Diva showcases Lifetime's long-standing commitment to raising awareness about issues that matter most to women. In partnership with women's non-profit organizations, including Step Up Women's Network and The National Association of Women Lawyers, Lifetime will guide a public discussion about stereotypes, work/life balance and being healthy at every size. In collaboration with self-esteem and body image expert and author Jess Weiner, viewers will be driven each week to mylifetime.com for "toolkits" that will lead positive, entertaining and informative discussions about the issues that each episode raises.

Drop Dead Diva is produced by Sony Pictures Television for Lifetime Television. Josh Berman (Bones, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation) is creator and executive producer. Craig Zadan and Neil Meron (Academy Award-winning Chicago, Hairspray, Lifetime's Living Proof) of Storyline Entertainment are executive producers. Alex Taub (Eli Stone) is executive producer and show runner and David Petrarca (Brothers and Sisters) is a director and executive producer. Thania St. John (Eureka) is a consulting producer as are the team of Jeanette Collins and Mimi Friedman (Big Love).

Sony Pictures Television is one of the television industry's leading content providers. It produces and distributes programming in every genre, including series, telefilms, theatrical releases and family entertainment around the world and for every platform: broadcast and cable television, first-run and off-network syndication and digital distribution. In addition to one of the industry's largest libraries of feature films and television shows, SPT boasts a current program slate that includes the top-rated daytime dramas and game shows, landmark off-network series, original animated series and critically acclaimed primetime dramas, comedies and telefilms. Internationally, SPT is a leader in local language productions around the world, some of which are co-produced with local partners and sells SPE-owned formats in approximately 70 countries. To better serve its clients and partners worldwide, SPT maintains offices throughout the world, including Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the People's Republic of China, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Venezuela and the United Kingdom. SPT's worldwide television networks portfolio is a key strategy in SPE's long-range commitment to the global marketplace, with 114 channel feeds, which are available in more than 130 countries reaching almost 400 million households worldwide. SPT also creates original content for and manages SPE's premium video website, Crackle. Additionally, SPT is a part owner of cable channel GSN, FEARnet, the premier horror/thriller website and VOD service, and national media sales company ITN Networks, Inc. SPT advertiser sales is one of the premiere national advertising sales companies, handling the commercial inventory in SPT's syndicated series as well as in all of SPE's digital businesses in the United States, for Sony Music Entertainment and for the Tennis Channel. SPT (www.sonypicturestelevision.com) is a Sony Pictures Entertainment company.

Lifetime is a diverse, multi-media company, committed to offering the highest quality entertainment and information programming that celebrates, entertains and supports women. Through its award-winning public affairs initiatives, the Company also advocates a wide range of issues affecting women and their families. Lifetime Television, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Real Women and Lifetime Digital (which includes myLifetime.com, Lifetime Games, Roiworld.com, DressUpChallenge.com and MothersClick.com) are part of Lifetime Entertainment Services, a 50/50 joint venture of Hearst Corporation and The Walt Disney Company.

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/2/09 5:34 PM 
To: All  (7 of 74) 
 16179.7 in reply to 16179.6 

'Drop Dead Diva' gets Paula Abdul to play ... a judge

Paulaabdul_americanidol_290 Lifetime's new dramedy "Drop Dead Diva" has lined up a pretty interesting list of guest stars for its first season, including new addition Paula Abdul.

The "American Idol" judge has signed on to a judge (of the robe-wearing, courtroom-ruling variety, not the reality-show kind) in an episode of the show, which premieres July 12. Abdul's episode will air toward the tail end of "Diva's" first season.

"Drop Dead Diva" stars Broadway actress Brooke Elliott as a "brilliant, thoughtful and plus-size attorney" who tends to be overlooked by her more conventionally attractive colleagues. That starts to change when the soul of a vapid and recently deceased model (Brooke D'Orsay) enters her body.

Other guests confirmed for the show include Nia Vardalos ("My Life in Ruins"), "Project Runway's" Tim Gunn, Sharon Lawrence, Marla Sokoloff, Elliott Gould, Liza Minnelli and Delta Burke. The latter two will be playing sisters who sue one another when Burke's character opens a competing psychic business across the street from Minnelli's.

Oh -- and the judge in that particular case? Rosie O'Donnell. "Drop Dead Diva" sounds more than a little "Ally McBeal"-ish in its embrace of the quirky -- does that make you curious, or turn you off?

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/11/09 9:29 PM 
To: All  (8 of 74) 
 16179.8 in reply to 16179.6 

Review: Dead model possesses large lawyer in Drop Dead Diva

Review: Dead model possesses large lawyer in \<em\>Drop Dead Diva\<\/em\>
Brooke D'Orsay portrays Deb, whose life finally begins after she's killed in an auto accident

With a title like Drop Dead Diva, it's easy to get the impression that Lifetime's new dramedy is nothing more than fluff. Instead the series mixes Ugly Betty with The Devil Wears Prada to cook up a charmer with plenty of heart and humor.

In the series, Deb (Brooke D'Orsay), a beautiful and shallow model wannabe, focuses on the important things in life, like doing her nails and being concerned that her knees look fat. She lives with her handsome attorney boyfriend, Grayson (Jackson Hurst), and her best pal is the equally shallow Stacy (April Bowlby).

Deb (Brooke D'Orsay) attends her own funeral in the body of plus-sized lawyer Jane (Brooke Elliott).

Meanwhile, hardworking, brilliant, plus-size attorney Jane Bingum (Brooke Elliott) trudges through life in the shadows of her more confident colleagues. But their paths are about to cross in the most unusual way when Jane is accidentally shot at work.

Just then, Deb is killed in an auto accident. She ends up meeting heaven's gatekeeper, Fred (Ben Feldman), who pulls up her file on his computer and looks over her living years. Fred determines she's never done anything bad or good in her life. In fact, he believes Deb is a zero/zero. All Deb knows is she has to get back to Earth, and when she hits a button on Fred's computer keyboard, she's instantly sent back. Instead of returning as Deb, however, she ends up in Jane's plus-sized body in the hospital.

Shocked to see she's not herself, literally, Deb isn't ready for Fred when he shows up. He tells her Jane's body was recently vacated and Deb is now Jane. Luckily, she does have Jane's brilliant mind to help her out. Suddenly Deb is living Jane's life, matronly clothes and all, as she takes Jane's cases at the law firm with the help of her loyal assistant, Teri (Margaret Cho), and runs into Grayson, who's just joined the firm. It's the ultimate second chance for Deb to stop being a "zero" and start making a difference.

Drop Dead Diva starts out almost as shallow as its main character, with the hot brainless model and the tireless, hardworking, brainy plain Jane. However, these caricatures are quickly disposed of when Deb and Jane unite, forcing Deb's exterior beauty inside as she realizes what it's like to be smart and to do good deeds for the first time.

Brooke Elliott is delightful as Deb/Jane, and she gives us a reason to like her character and the series. Margaret Cho is a stitch as Jane's assistant, who is only slightly thrown when her boss suddenly suffers a massive case of amnesia. And Ben Feldman, as Fred, has some nice moments as Deb's new guardian angel.

This breezy dramedy is a great fit for Lifetime. So forget the cutesy title of the series. Drop Dead Diva is the ultimate body-switching series, and far more than the sum of its parts. The series premieres on Sunday, July 12, at 9 p.m. on Lifetime.

Deb (Brooke D'Orsay) looks back on her life from the afterlife.
Source: scifi.com

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/6/09 9:19 PM 
To: All  (9 of 74) 
 16179.9 in reply to 16179.8 

Paula Abdul still has a job -- on Lifetime

By Rick Porter

|  

August 6, 2009 3:52 PM

Paulaabdul_foxtca2009_290 Paula Abdul may be done with "American Idol," but she's not out of work entirely.

A few hours after FOX executives told a roomful of TV critics that "Idol" is moving on and hiring guest judges for the audition rounds, Lifetime sent out a press release saying that Abdul will make a second guest appearance on its series "Drop Dead Diva" in the fall. She'll be reprising her role as a judge, of sorts.

First of all, well played, Lifetime. Nice timing on the announcement, which also says that Abdul is filming her scenes for "Drop Dead Diva's" October season finale on Thursday (Aug. 6).

In the finale, Abdul will appear in a dream sequence in which she "represents Jane's [Brooke Elliott] subconscious, this time involving a matter of Jane's heart."

"The cast and crew absolutely loved Paula when she filmed her first episode," "Drop Dead Diva" creator Josh Berman says. "When I called Paula to congratulate her on her fabulous performance, she told me she had a terrific experience. I asked her if she'd like to return and she said yes."

Abdul's first appearance on "Drop Dead Diva" is scheduled for Sept. 13. The season finale airs Oct. 11.

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host9/7/09 9:55 PM 
To: All  (10 of 74) 
 16179.10 in reply to 16179.9 
LIFETIME TELEVISION PICKS-UP SECOND SEASON OF HIT COMEDIC DRAMA DROP DEAD DIVA
Released by Lifetime

LIFETIME TELEVISION PICKS-UP SECOND SEASON OF HIT COMEDIC DRAMA DROP DEAD DIVA

Number One Women's Network Orders 13 New Episodes of Freshman Series Starring BROOKE ELLIOTT and Comedienne MARGARET CHO

Program Has Cumed 50.1 Million Viewers Season-to-Date

LOS ANGELES, CA (August 20, 2009) Lifetime Television, the number one women's network, has renewed its hit comedic drama Drop Dead Diva for a second season. The announcement was made today by JoAnn Alfano, Executive Vice President, Entertainment, Lifetime Networks.

The Network has ordered 13 new episodes of the freshman series, which stars break-out actress Brooke Elliott and popular comedienne Margaret Cho, for 2010. The critically acclaimed series, which tells the story of a shallow, aspiring model who dies in a sudden accident, only to find her soul resurfacing in the body of a brilliant, thoughtful and plus-size attorney (Elliott), premiered on July 12, 2009, and was Lifetime's highest rated original drama series debut since the 2007 launch of Army Wives.

From creator Josh Berman (Bones, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation) and executive producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron (Academy Award-winning Chicago, Hairspray, Lifetime's Living Proof), Drop Dead Diva is averaging 2.6 million viewers per episode this season and has cumed 50.1 million P2+ viewers to date in its 9PM ET/PT Sunday time period. This past Sunday (August 16), it scored its highest ratings ever among Women 18-49 and Women 25-54, and averaged more than 3 million total viewers, a 16% increase above its season-to-date average, leading into Army Wives. Together, Drop Dead Diva and Army Wives make Lifetime the highest rated and most watched network in the Sunday, 9-11PM time period among Women 18-49.

"Drop Dead Diva is one of those rare gems that has charmed both viewers and critics, and I am proud to announce a season two pick-up," said Alfano. "Josh Berman, Craig Zadan, Neil Meron and their talented team have delivered an amazing show that is helping us to grow and evolve the Lifetime brand."

Alfano added, "Brooke is a unique talent who has a wonderful career ahead of her. It is so gratifying to see the public and the media responding so positively to her."

ABOUT DROP DEAD DIVA

When beautiful-but-vapid model wannabe Deb has a fatal car accident, she suddenly finds herself in front of Heaven's gatekeeper, Fred, who declares her a self-centered "zero." Outraged, she attempts to persuade Fred to return her to her shallow existence but is accidentally relegated to the body of the recently deceased Jane Bingum (Elliott). A brilliant, thoughtful and plus-size attorney with a loyal assistant, Teri (Cho), Jane has always lived in the shadow of her more confident, comely colleagues whereas Deb has always relied on her external beauty. Now, by a twist of fate and a bolt of divine intervention, Deb must come to terms with inhabiting Jane's curvier frame and learn to reconcile her beauty queen ways with her brilliant, new mind.

Guest stars throughout the first season of Drop Dead Diva include Paula Abdul, Rosie O'Donnell, Tim Gunn, Liza Minnelli, Delta Burke, Sharon Lawrence, Kathy Najimy, Nia Vardalos, Jorja Fox, Teri Polo, Gregory Harrison, Mark Moses, Marla Sokoloff, Shirley Knight, Faith Price, Devon Gummersall, Elliott Gould, Chuck Woolery and Diedrich Bader.

Drop Dead Diva is produced by Sony Pictures Television for Lifetime Television. Through his Osprey Productions, Berman is creator and executive producer. Zadan and Meron of Storyline Entertainment are executive producers. Alex Taub (Eli Stone) is executive producer and David Petrarca (Brothers and Sisters) is a director and executive producer. Thania St. John (Eureka) is a consulting producer as is the team of Jeanette Collins and Mimi Friedman (Big Love).

Sony Pictures Television is one of the television industry's leading content providers. It produces and distributes programming in every genre, including series, telefilms, theatrical releases and family entertainment around the world and for every platform: broadcast and cable television, first-run and off-network syndication and digital distribution. In addition to one of the industry's largest libraries of feature films and television shows, SPT boasts a current program slate that includes the top-rated daytime dramas and game shows, landmark off-network series, original animated series and critically acclaimed primetime dramas, comedies and telefilms. Internationally, SPT is a leader in local language productions around the world, some of which are co-produced with local partners and sells SPE-owned formats in approximately 70 countries. To better serve its clients and partners worldwide, SPT maintains offices throughout the world, including Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the People's Republic of China, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Venezuela and the United Kingdom. SPT's worldwide television networks portfolio is a key strategy in SPE's long-range commitment to the global marketplace, with 114 channel feeds, which are available in more than 130 countries reaching almost 400 million households worldwide. SPT also creates original content for and manages SPE's premium video website, Crackle. Additionally, SPT is a part owner of cable channel GSN, FEARnet, the premier horror/thriller website and VOD service, and national media sales company ITN Networks, Inc. SPT advertiser sales is one of the premiere national advertising sales companies, handling the commercial inventory in SPT's syndicated series as well as in all of SPE's digital businesses in the United States, for Sony Music Entertainment and for the Tennis Channel. SPT (www.sonypicturestelevision.com) is a Sony Pictures Entertainment company.

Lifetime is a diverse, multi-media company, committed to offering the highest quality entertainment and information programming that celebrates, entertains and supports women. Through its award-winning public affairs initiatives, the Company also advocates a wide range of issues affecting women and their families. Lifetime Television, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Real Women and Lifetime Digital (which includes myLifetime.com, LMN.TV, Lifetime Games, Roiworld.com, DressUpChallenge.com and MothersClick.com) are part of Lifetime Entertainment Services, a 50/50 joint venture of Hearst Corporation and The Walt Disney Company.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 ... 51-60 61-70 71-74
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.