FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TAKES VIEWERS BEYOND THE HOSPITAL WITH
AN INTIMATE LOOK AT LIVES ON THE
CIVIL WAR BATTLEFIELD AND HOME FRONT
Stars Josh Radnor, Mary Elizabeth Winstead,
Gary Cole, Donna Murphy, And Many Others
Arlington, VA; January 6, 2017 - PBS Distribution announced it is releasing MERCY STREET SEASON 2
, the much-acclaimed Civil War-era drama set in the occupied city of Alexandria, Virginia, on DVD and Blu-ray. Allegiances blur, loyalties shift and the drama intensifies as the scope of the war pushes beyond Mansion House, the former hotel commandeered by northern troops to serve as a Union hospital.
Executive produced by Ridley Scott (The Martian, Gladiator, Thelma and Louise
and The Good Wife
); David W. Zucker (The Good Wife
and The Man in the High Castle
) of Scott Free; Lisa Q. Wolfinger (Desperate Crossing, the untold story of the Mayflower
) and David Zabel (ER
), the series follows the doctors, nurses and soldiers, as well as free, enslaved and contraband African Americans and other residents of the war-torn city, as they navigate the new world emerging from the most cataclysmic event in our country's history.
MERCY STREET SEASON 2
will be available on DVD and Blu-ray February 14, 2017. The run time of the program is approximately 360 minutes on 2 discs. The SRP of the DVD is $39.99 and the SRP of the Blu-ray is $49.99. The first season of MERCY STREET
, which premiered in January 2016, reached a total audience of 14 million people. It is the second highest rated drama for the year to date on PBS, after Downton Abbey
MERCY STREET SEASON 2
picks up directly from the dramatic events at the end of the first season finale, continuing to explore life in the chaotic city of Alexandria, the complicated interpersonal dynamics of Dr. Foster, Nurse Mary and the Mansion House staff, the increasingly precarious position of the Green family and the changing world of the burgeoning black population. The second season will introduce a number of new elements, taking the viewer closer to the war and into the halls of Confederate power, all set against the intensifying war, starting with the Seven Days' Battle and culminating with Antietam.
The new season also delves deeper into the lives of newly freed African Americans, exploring - among other areas - life in a contraband camp, where formerly enslaved African Americans are forced to confront horrific living conditions and disease, but also get a glimpse of freedom.
New actors and guest stars introduced in MERCY STREET SEASON 2
- Patina Miller (Pippin, Madam Secretary, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Parts 1 & 2) as Charlotte Jenkins, an educated contraband abolitionist activist who arrives in the first episode. A former slave who escaped to freedom years before through the Underground Railroad, Charlotte (a composite of numerous historical figures, most prominently Harriet Jacobs) offers education to other former slaves and helps with the sick who have contracted smallpox, which was epidemic during the Civil War.
- Brían F. O'Byrne (Mildred Pierce, Aquarius) as Allan Pinkerton, head of the Union Intelligence Service. The character is based on the real Allan Pinkerton, a Scottish emigrant and abolitionist who founded America's first detective agency and successfully brought down some of the country's most ruthless criminals.
- Bryce Pinkham (A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, The Heidi Chronicles) as Maj. Clayton McBurney III, the new hospital chief.
- Lyne Renee (Of Kings and Prophets, Strike Back, The Hippopotamus) as Lisette Beaufort, a stylish and bold Parisian who has a past with Dr. Foster and creates a stir in the hospital when she accepts a commission with the Union Army in medical visual documentation.
- Chris Wood (The Carrie Diaries, Vampire Diaries) as Captain Lance Van Der Berg, a handsome young Union captain lodging at the Green home when he strikes up a budding romance with Alice Green, who has ulterior motives for the courtship.
- William Mark McCullough (Underground) as Larkin, a Confederate sympathizer in league with Jimmy Green, who helps formulate a plan to provide rebel fighters with munitions.
- Nyambi Nyambi (Mike