Comedy (Read-Only Folder)  -  Big Bang Theory on CBS (1950 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/1/06 10:42 AM 
To: All  (1 of 118) 
'Big Bang Theory' explodes at CBS

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The co-creator of CBS comedy hit "Two and a Half Men" is teaming with the network for a new sitcom.

CBS has given a pilot order to "The Big Bang Theory," which Chuck Lorre will produce with Bill Prady.

The project, named after one of the most popular theories on the origin of the universe, centers on two brilliant theoretical physicists who meet a woman who shows them how little they know about real life.

Lorre described the two guys as "beautiful minds without the paranoid schizophrenia."

"We thought that these are characters that hadn't been explored on television," he said. "They don't really get the nuances of social interaction, and the story is about how they change when a young, emotionally vulnerable party-girl comes into their lives."

Prady, who had worked on Lorre's previous hit comedy series, ABC's "Dharma & Greg," approached Lorre about a possible collaboration in November. Working nights and weekends, the two shaped up the concept and wrote the script.

"Two and a Half Men," which Lorre co-created with Lee Aronsohn, is now in its third season and anchors CBS' Monday comedy block.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Options 

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/10/06 3:05 PM 
To: All  (2 of 118) 
 8478.2 in reply to 8478.1 
CBS comedy a 'Big Bang' for Galecki

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Johnny Galecki has been tapped as one of the two leads in CBS' comedy pilot "The Big Bang Theory."

The show revolves around two brilliant theoretical physicists (Galecki, Jim Parsons) who meet a woman who shows them how little they know about real life.

The project reunites Galecki and Lorre, who worked together on ABC's "Roseanne."

Galecki most recently did a multiepisode arc on ABC's "Hope & Faith."

Options 

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/18/06 8:00 PM 
To: All  (3 of 118) 
 8478.3 in reply to 8478.2 
Actress Walsh brings beauty to 'Big Bang' pilot

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Canadian actress Amanda Walsh has landed the female lead in the CBS comedy pilot "The Big Bang Theory."

The project revolves around two brilliant theoretical physicists (Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons) who meet a beautiful party girl (Walsh) who shows them how little they know about real life.

The role was recast after the show's table read Thursday. It was originally set to be played by Iris Bahr.

For Walsh, the casting is in second position to ABC's midseason comedy "Sons & Daughters." She recently finished a small role in the DreamWorks feature "Disturbia," and next appears in New Line Cinema's "Full of It."

Options 

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host11/9/06 11:42 AM 
To: All  (4 of 118) 
 8478.4 in reply to 8478.3 

Source: Zap2it.com

'Rules' Gal Causes 'Big Bang'

Comedy comes from 'Two and a Half Men' creator Lorre

November 8, 2006

Kaley Cuoco
Kaley Cuoco
Kaley Cuoco is looking to return to prime time as one of the stars of CBS' comedy pilot "The Big Bang Theory."

The comedy, from Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady, offers the "Weird Science"-esque premise of a pair of brilliant physicists (Johnny Galecki and Jim Parsons) and the sexy young woman (Cuoco) who teaches them about real life.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Amanda Walsh was originally cast in the role, but CBS decided in May that the part should be recast. Cuoco auditioned the first time around, but was too young for the part and ended up in another comedy pilot, this one at ABC. Of course, when the role was reconceived at younger, Cuoco got the call.

Best known for her co-starring role on ABC's "8 Simple Rules," Cuoco spent last season on The WB's "Charmed." Her other credits include "Ladies Man" and the telefilms "Crimes of Fashion" and "Growing Up Brady."

Options 

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host6/8/07 12:10 PM 
To: All  (5 of 118) 
 8478.5 in reply to 8478.4 

Source: TV-Couch-Potatoes

Meet the Cast: CBS' The Big Bang Theory

Big bank theoryThe sitcom The Big Bang Theory has been picked up by CBS, and has been slated to fill in the network’s 8:30 Monday night timeslot this coming fall. The series was created by Chuck Lorre and Lee Aronsohn, the names behind another CBS comedy, Two and a Half Men.

The premise of the show revolves around two friends, Leonard and Sheldon, whose passion for and intellect in quantum physics hasn’t necessarily helped them figure out the complex subject of women. To their rescue is Penny, the attractive next-door neighbor, who, after recently surviving a nasty break-up, is more than happy to teach the two geniuses a thing or two about life.

Actor Johnny Galecki stars as Leonard in this new comedy series, but actually made his television debut in the sitcom Roseanne, where he portrayed David Maurice Healy. Galecki’s other acting credits include I Know What You Did Last Summer, The Opposite of Sex, Bounce, Hope & Faith, My Name is Earl and My Boys.

The other science genius, Sheldon, is played by Jim Parsons. Previously, Parsons appeared in a variety of television series, including Ed, Judging Amy and 10 Items or Less. He also appeared is some big screen productions, such as Garden State and On the Road with Judas.

Most known for her roles in Charmed and Eight Simple Rules, actress Kaley Cuoco returns to the small screen as Penny. In addition to acting, Cuoco has also lent her voice to several animated series, namely Brandy and Mr. Whiskers and Monster Allergy.

Comedian and MADtv alumnus Simon Helberg portrays Wolowitz on the show. Helberg also has a minor role on the NBC series, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, where he plays Alex Dwyer.

Options 

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host9/6/07 1:26 PM 
To: All  (6 of 118) 
 8478.6 in reply to 8478.5 

CBS' 'Big Bang' Produces 'Roseanne' Reunion

Freshman comedy will pair Sara Gilbert and Johnny Galecki

September 4, 2007

Sara Gilbert
Sara Gilbert
Married on "Roseanne," Sara Gilbert and Johnny Galecki are set to reteam on his new CBS comedy.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Gilbert will do a multi-episode arc on CBS' "Big Bang Theory," returning to the Monday, 8:30 p.m. slot where she was most recently seen as a recurring guest star on "The Class."

"Big Bang Theory" focuses on a pair of physicists (Galecki and Jim Parsons) who know an awful lot about science, but very little about the normal world until a babe (Kaley Cuoco) moves into the apartment across the hall. Gilbert will play a more realistic love interest for Galecki's character, a fellow physicist.

CBS' Monday comedies have gotten a decent amount of press in recent weeks for entertaining on-screen reunions. "Rules of Engagement," for example, will team alleged former couple David Spade and Heather Locklear, while "Seinfeld" vets Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dreyfus on "The New Adventures of Old Christine."

Gilbert picked up a pair of Emmy nominations for her long run as Darlene on "Rosanne." She didn't pick up any nominations for her most recent regular series gig as one of the stars of The WB's "Twins." She's also recurred on "E.R." and "24."

Options 

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host9/24/07 5:20 PM 
To: All  (7 of 118) 
 8478.7 in reply to 8478.6 

Roseanne's Johnny Galecki Gets His Big Geek On

by Matt Webb Mitovich
Johnny Galecki, The Big Bang Theory

Creating quality laughs for television isn't rocket science, though it may benefit from some quantum physics. In the new CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory (premiering tonight at 8:30 pm/ET), Johnny Galecki and Jim Parsons play Leonard and Sheldon, super-brilliant roommates who realize they don't necessarily have all the answers when a bubbly blonde beauty named Penny (8 Simple Rules' Kaley Cuoco) moves in across the hall. Complicating matters further will be the arrival of Galecki's "former wife," fellow Roseanne alum Sara Gilbert, as a geeky love interest. TVGuide.com asked Galecki if this Big Bang will create Monday-night sitcom success.

TVGuide.com: I said this the other day to [Big Bang cocreator] Chuck Lorre, but I don't think he believed me: I was watching the pilot during my commute, and I had to turn the DVD player off because I was laughing so much.
Johnny Galecki:
Oh, very cool!

TVGuide.com: The dialogue is funny, the situation is funny, the character types are funny....
Galecki:
Yeah, I'm feeling very fortunate. I love this group of people. We're having a fantastic time over there. They've really made having fun a priority, and I think that's coming across.

TVGuide.com: Did you have any hesitations about playing such an utter geek who at times may end up getting pantsed by a bully?
Galecki:
[Laughs] No, not at all. These characters have a real passion for physics and science and numbers, so much so that they love immersing themselves in that world. When you are like that, you can miss out on a lot of life experience, and I like the idea of my character wanting to change a little bit. He has this nagging feeling that maybe the rest of the world is having a fuller life than he is. That's the great thing about doing a series, if you're lucky enough for it to last, that you get to explore this individual in so many different environments and situations. I love that [Leonard and Sheldon] have this passion. That's why they're likable characters.

TVGuide.com: Is any small part of Leonard coming from a real part of you?
Galecki:
Definitely. I was a huge theater geek growing up, and that was not the easiest thing in the world, especially growing up in Chicago, where sports are really the norm. I was always off to the theater at night, from 7 years old on. Friends there in the Midwest who could talk to you about the idiosyncrasies of Pippin were few and far between. [Laughs] That's what I love about the script; it's about feeling like an outsider and getting frustrated by being misunderstood.

TVGuide.com: Is it a bit like being an ER cast member, having to spout all that technical jargon and mumbo jumbo?
Galecki:
A little bit. I hate admitting it, but that stuff isn't easy. People always ask about learning all of your lines as an actor, and it's generally the easiest part of the job. But to have this science jargon come out of your mouth and say it in the natural, casual way these guys would is not easy.

TVGuide.com: Does a sitcom vet like you still break or go up on a line?
Galecki:
I try not to break. Kunal [Nayyar, who plays fourth-banana Rajesh] was saying the other day that he knows at this point that he can look to me when he starts to break and I'll steel him up. But I've had to think of some horrible, dark and fiercely nasty things in those moments. [Laughs] We're having so much fun, it's hard not to break sometimes.

TVGuide.com: In the pilot, the elevator in the guys' apartment building is out of order, forcing them to plod up the stairs. Why do I have the feeling it will never be fixed?
Galecki:
You are a smarter man than I. I did not foresee that, but yes, it is still broken.

TVGuide.com: It would seem to allow for some fun walk-and-talk moments.
Galecki:
It does.... Any movement like that adds a natural feeling to a scene, as opposed to just sitting down at a table full of props.

TVGuide.com: For instance, they have a funny debate during that first time up the stairs….
Galecki:
Yeah, about if a stair is as little as 2 millimeters off, you'll trip on it.

TVGuide.com: Sara Gilbert guesting as another potential love interest for Leonard — how did that come about? Whose idea was it?
Galecki:
That was Chuck Lorre, initially.

TVGuide.com: All three of you date back to the Roseanne days….
Galecki:
Yeah. We had talked about another actress because Sara had just had a baby, but she decided she could do it. She jumped at it, and I'm actually on my way to rehearsal with her right now.

TVGuide.com: What's her character like?
Galecki:
She plays Leslie Winkle, a lab/work partner of Leonard's, which I love because you can see another side of him. Versus dealing with Penny, where there's so much fumbling, this is his work environment where the hallways are lined with accolades and he's a bit of a rock s
...[Message truncated]

Options 

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host10/9/07 3:35 PM 
To: All  (8 of 118) 
 8478.8 in reply to 8478.7 

Source: TVGuide.com

Chuck Lorre Believes in Big Bang Theory (and Sara Gilbert)

by Matt Webb Mitovich
Sara Gilbert with Johnny Galecki, The Big Bang Theory

A few weeks ago, New York Magazine invited a panel of real-life physicists to weigh in on the CBS' The Big Bang Theory, in which Johnny Galecki and Jim Parsons portray brainiacs with a surprisingly lot to learn. The opinions were... mixed, let's say, with some of the polled beautiful minds saying the laffer was being a bit funny with the facts of their life and work. When TVGuide.com spoke to Big Bang executive producer and sitcom giant Chuck Lorre, he had not seen the piece, but was surprised to hear of any backlash. "Well, now, hang on a second," he interrupted. "We're working with a physics professor at UCLA who is the real deal. We're trying our damnedest to get the science right. Minor misses we can live with, but I tell you, it'd be fairly interesting to put our consultants up against those guys [surveyed by New York] and see what happens."

When he isn't proposing smackdowns among the superbrilliant, Lorre is singing the praises of Sara Gilbert, who in tonight's episode (airing at 8:30 pm/ET) begins a short-term stint as a female geek and potential love interest for Galecki's Leonard. "She's perfect for the role, and we were very fortunate that she was available," Lorre says. "It's a gift to be able to work with an actress of that caliber." Make that work again with, as Lorre — like Galecki — toiled on Roseanne some years ago. Lorre, though, dismisses the suggestion that as such, Gilbert guesting on the show was inevitable. "I go back with Johnny and Sara, but that really wasn't a factor as much as who was the best actress for this part, and hands down it was Sara."

Gilbert's Leslie Winkle is in fact a coworker of Leonard's. Yet as much as they have in common, the two scientists find it hard to convert their chemistry into anything combustible. "It's not their 'home run swing' to have an intimate relationship," says Lorre. "They have this inability to express their feelings, and fear may be the tantamount reason that gets in the way."

Have Big Bang Theory's fans been able to demonstrate their love for the Monday-night newcomer? Thus far, the ratings would suggest as much, significantly building on the audience of lead-in How I Met Your Mother and thus setting the table nicely for Two and a Half Men (Lorre's other laughing baby). "We have this terrific ensemble," he notes, "and we're growing as we go, and we're learning about them as we write about them. The discovery process shows a history to the characters that we're starting to peel away at."

And not just the three leads (including Kaley Cuoco as the blonde beauty who besots the boys), but their extended circle of (usually geeky) friends. Says Lorre, Simon [Helberg] and Kunal [Nayyar, as fourth bananas Wolowitz and Rajesh] are being served more in further episodes, in terms of seeing who they are and how they came to be.

The answer to that last mystery isn't simply, "Way too much Star Trek"?

Visit the original forum for fans of Reba McEntire:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/rebarules/start

Options 

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host10/19/07 4:36 PM 
To: All  (9 of 118) 
 8478.9 in reply to 8478.8 
CBS GIVES FRESHMAN COMEDY "THE BIG BANG THEORY" AND DRAMA "THE UNIT" FULL SEASON ORDERS
Released by CBS
[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

CBS GIVES FRESHMAN COMEDY "THE BIG BANG THEORY" AND DRAMA "THE UNIT" FULL SEASON ORDERS

"The Big Bang Theory" Is the First New Comedy to Receive a Full Season Pickup

CBS has given full season orders to its freshman comedy THE BIG BANG THEORY and the drama THE UNIT. THE BIG BANG THEORY becomes the first new comedy to receive a full season pickup.

THE BIG BANG THEORY, a key newcomer to CBS's Monday comedy block, is averaging 8.97 million viewers, 4.3/10 in adults 25-54 and 3.6/09 in adults 18-49 in its Monday (8:30-9:00 PM ET/PT) time period. THE BIG BANG THEORY has built on its HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER lead-in by +8% in households, +10% in adults 25-54, +9% in adults 18-49 and +10% in viewers.

THE UNIT is averaging 11.44 million viewers, 3.1/08 in adults 18-49 and 4.2/09 in adults 25-54. Tuesday's episode posted THE UNIT's best ratings in key measures since February.

THE BIG BANG THEORY stars Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar. Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady are executive producers for Warner Bros. Television.

THE UNIT stars Dennis Haysbert, Scott Foley, Robert Patrick, Regina Taylor, Max Martini, Michael Irby, Demore Barnes, Abby Brammell and Audrey Marie Anderson. David Mamet, Shawn Ryan and Vahan Moosekian are executive producers for Twentieth Century Fox Television.

Options 

From: rebarules1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host10/20/07 7:19 PM 
To: All  (10 of 118) 
 8478.10 in reply to 8478.9 

CBS Validates 'Big Bang Theory'

Network also picks up a full season of 'The Unit'

October 19, 2007

Kaley Cuoco, 'The Big Bang Theory'
Kaley Cuoco of 'The Big Bang Theory'
CBS's "The Big Bang Theory" has become the season's first new comedy to get a full-season pickup.

In addition to picking up the back-nine for "Big Bang Theory," CBS also committed to the remainder of the season for the third-year drama "The Unit."

Airing on Monday nights, "Big Bang Theory" has averaged just under 9 million viewers per week with a solid 3.6 rating among adults 18-49. Created by Chuck Lorre and starring Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons and Kaley Cuoco, "Big Bang Theory" has improved on the season audience averages for its "How I Met Your Mother" lead-in. It's also drawing a slightly larger audience than "The Class" did in the same time period last season

"Big Bang Theory" is the second freshman show to get picked up for a full season following The CW's "Gossip Girl."

The Tuesday night drama "The Unit" has averaged 11.4 million viewers this season and a 3.1 rating among adults 18-49.

Produced by David Mamet, Shawn Ryan and Vahan Moosekian, the cast of "The Unit" includes Dennis Haysbert, Scott Foley, Robert Patrick and Regina Taylor.

Options 

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 ... 91-100 101-110 111-118
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.