General Discussion -  Bowe Bergdahl sentenced (214 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-3 6:07 PM 
To: All  (1 of 10) 

Fort Bragg, North Carolina (CNN) Bowe Bergdahl received a dishonorable discharge from the US Army but will avoid prison time for desertion and misbehavior before the enemy after abandoning his outpost in Afghanistan in 2009, a military judge ruled Friday.

The judge also ruled that Bergdahl's rank be reduced from sergeant to private. Additionally, he will be required to pay a $1,000 fine from his salary for the next 10 months.
"Sgt. Bergdahl has looked forward to today for a long time," Eugene Fidell, Bergdahl's civilian attorney, said at a news conference after the sentence was announced.
"As everyone knows he was a captive of the Taliban for nearly five years, and three more years have elapsed while the legal process unfolded. He has lost nearly a decade of his life."
The sentence is effective immediately, except for the dishonorable discharge, which Bergdahl is appealing, according to Fidell.
Bergdahl appeared visibly shaken as the sentence was announced, according to CNN affiliate WRAL. Two of his attorneys stood by his side with their hands on his back while the judge, Army Col. Jeffery R. Nance, read the sentence.

Reply   Options 

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 10) 
 2135.2 in reply to 2135.1 

This decision has just PISSED on all of us who served Honorably !!! He should never receive any VA benefits what so ever.

From: Dan (DANCULBERSON) DelphiPlus Member IconNov-4 12:20 AM 
To: williemc  (3 of 10) 
 2135.3 in reply to 2135.2 

williemc said...

This decision has just PISSED on all of us who served Honorably !!!

If you want to be pissed, be pissed at President Trump. His interfering comments about the case caused the judge to reduce the sentence. Watch MSNBC to know what's going on in the world. Also, his lawyers are appealing the case, and Trump's comments today might cause the punishment to be reduced even more.

To: williemc  (4 of 10) 
 2135.4 in reply to 2135.2 

To: Dan (DANCULBERSON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 10) 
 2135.5 in reply to 2135.3 

What about Obama's "interfering comments", inviting Bergdahl's family to the White House and calling the deserter a hero?

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/06/politics/rice-cnn-interview/index.html

To: Dan (DANCULBERSON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 10) 
 2135.6 in reply to 2135.3 

As a Viet Nam Vet his actions deserve more than a slap on the wrist.

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-4 11:19 AM 
To: williemc  (7 of 10) 
 2135.7 in reply to 2135.6 

it isn't a slap on the wrist - Bergdahl won't be eligible for VA & military benefits, for example. Also, he was tortured and treated badly in captivity. Also, as Dan pointed out, Trump's comments would have prejudiced Bergdahl's trial. Clearly, the military did not want a trial and wanted to move on. Plea deals, whether in the military, civilian or other government trials, tend to leave everyone unhappy with the compromise

Forum Host, Liberal Heaven
Assistant Moderator,YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-4 11:52 AM 
To: FlasherMak  (8 of 10) 
 2135.8 in reply to 2135.4 

I don't know much about military tribunals, but my understanding from Bike/Uraltourist comments in another forum is that the military had limited options: decline to prosecute, dismiss charges, 'jury trial' with one magistrate judge presiding, or or reach a plea deal

Forum Host, Liberal Heaven
Assistant Moderator,YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 10) 
 2135.9 in reply to 2135.7 

It was his choice to desert,therefore the consequences. If you take a poll of honorably discharged vets especially those of us who served in combat zones I don't

he will get much sympathy.As for VA benefits I have to scratch and craw for every thing I get for agent orange related problems.

To: williemc  (10 of 10) 
 2135.10 in reply to 2135.9 

One of the first things you have to memorize in the military are the General Orders. And #1 reads:

1st General Order

"I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved."

Instead, Bergdahl simply laid down his weapon and wandered off, leaving a hole in the perimeter where the Taliban could have walked in and started killing, had they discovered it. He gave no thought to the safety of his comrades, thinking only of his desire to make friends with the enemy. That suggests he has more than a few screws loose. Maybe the proper judgment might have been to put him into a loony bin for his own safety.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.