General Discussion -  Is this Marine vet a spy or pawn? (158 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-4 9:16 AM 
To: All  (1 of 10) 

NYT:

Paul Whelan, the security chief of an international auto parts manufacturer, loved to travel around Russia and was in contact on social media with ordinary citizens there, including retired members of the military.

On Thursday, the Russian authorities charged Mr. Whelan, 48, with espionage. The U.S. government refused to publicly discuss Mr. Whelan’s status in detail, but former C.I.A. officers said they didn’t think he was a spy.

Why it matters: Mr. Whelan’s arrest comes after a Russian woman, Maria Butina, pleaded guilty last month in Washington to conspiring to act as a foreign agent. Current and former officials said it was possible Mr. Whelan was seized to exchange him for Ms. Butina.

Reply   Options 

From: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-5 12:33 PM 
To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 10) 
 2197.2 in reply to 2197.1 

This case is odd. Originally, he was made out to be an innocent attending a wedding. As more reporting is done, he sounds less and less innocent. I guess we'll just have to wait to see how it plays out.

Art by Jenny Nyström 1854-1946
Ad infinitatem et ultra!

From: Jazzy720 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-5 10:51 PM 
To: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon   (3 of 10) 
 2197.3 in reply to 2197.2 

I'm with you on this one. 

Host of 
YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

Keeping Faith in America

Follow me to the Delicious Dish 

Help to rescue Beagles used for lab experimentation. 
http://www.beaglefreedomproject.org/ 

To: Jazzy720 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 10) 
 2197.4 in reply to 2197.3 

He got a bad conduct discharge from the USMC as a staff sergeant. That makes you wonder a bit.

From: Jazzy720 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-6 12:15 AM 
To: FlasherMak  (5 of 10) 
 2197.5 in reply to 2197.4 

Did he? I just think the whole thing sounds sketchy. Maybe he volunteered to be the fall guy so he could be exchanged for the Russian woman/spy that we have. BTW Happy New Year Mak!

Host of 
YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

Keeping Faith in America

To: Jazzy720 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 10) 
 2197.6 in reply to 2197.5 

Hope you have a good one too!  :)

He was busted from E-6 to E-1 and given a bad conduct discharge, which means he lost all of his veteran's rights. You don't get that for just being a little bit naughty. He'd spent 14 years in the USMC Reserve, including deployments to the sand box. He was always interested in Russia though, so I'd guess he was just arrested so the Russians could make a swap.

"The Marine Corps found Paul Whelan, the American citizen detained by Russia on espionage charges, guilty of attempting to steal more than $10,000 worth of currency from the U.S. government while deployed to Iraq in 2006 and bouncing nearly $6,000 worth of checks around the same time, according to records obtained by The Washington Post."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/four-countries-now-have-links-to-american-detained-in-russia-as-international-spillover-widens/2019/01/04/25d93b2e-1029-11e9-8f0c-6f878a26288a_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8dffb57bda6f

From: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-6 10:16 AM 
To: Jazzy720 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 10) 
 2197.7 in reply to 2197.5 

Jazzy720 said...

Maybe he volunteered to be the fall guy so he could be exchanged for the Russian woman/spy that we have.

Except that I think it was being reported yesterday that the Russians weren't interested in a trade.

Tell a story. Tell it live. 

What's your passion? Science? Art? Family? Build your own forum in seconds!

From: Jazzy720 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-6 1:06 PM 
To: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon  unread  (8 of 10) 
 2197.8 in reply to 2197.7 

Interesting. We'll have to see how it shakes out I guess. 

Host of 
YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

Keeping Faith in America

From: Jazzy720 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-6 1:09 PM 
To: FlasherMak  (9 of 10) 
 2197.9 in reply to 2197.6 

I read the other day that there are several that the Russians would love to get back. 

Host of 
YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

Keeping Faith in America

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-11 11:48 AM 
To: Cstar1 DelphiPlus Member Icon  unread  (10 of 10) 
 2197.10 in reply to 2197.2 

I wonder if his alleged employer was aware of his seemingly checkered past when he was moved to the Security Chief position for a large vehicle parts distributer/maker?

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.