General -  U.S. to Get New Intercity Bus Operator, (87 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-8 1:32 PM 
To: All  (1 of 3) 

U.S. to Get New Intercity Bus Operator, Germany’s FlixBus to Begin Operations

November 8, 2017

German long-distance bus operator FlixBus announced Wednesday that it will begin operations in the United States. Both of FlixBus’s potential competitors in the U.S., Greyhound and Megabus, are British-owned, and now there’s a German competitor to grab market share in what could be a very lucrative market.

The company, according to Reuters, has sent personnel to Los Angeles to set up local headquarters for their U.S. expansion.

Munich-based FlixBus is the result of FlixBus and MeinFernbus joining hands in 2015, and the company operates in a very different way from most intercity operators, most of whom own their fleet. Instead of taking that route, FlixBus works with existing fleet owners and carriers and enters into contract with them, providing all the core marketing, pricing, scheduling and promotion services. In exchange, these buses are rebranded as “Flixbuses”. Partner carriers must adhere to very strict guidelines for quality and consistency of service.

https://1reddrop.com/2017/11/08/flixbus-launch-united-states-intercity-bus-operator/

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconNov-10 12:54 PM 
To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 3) 
 4591.2 in reply to 4591.1 

To a degree, going back to the old way of Trailways and Greyhound of old, regional operators in consortium arrangements with Greyhound as an umbrella corporation.  The latest iteration of Greyhound was pretty much the result of defaults or buyouts of smaller divisions/operators under Greyhound aegeus.  The loss of the tanglefoot setup of many small routes and limited intra-area expresses directly led to the demise of regional operations.  The very idea of a web of local routes died a terrible death in rural America, much to the distress of said local residents; first trains to smaller towns went away and then the local bus faded to highways and private cars.

Nostalgia is HELL.  I remember growing up on a whistle stop local bus route serviced by both Trailways and Greyhound, no bus station but the one and only gas station in the tiny community had a flag for customer use to get the bus to stop.  I remember taking the local line to Orlando (the BIG city) and then to points otherwhere.  Taking a local on longer distances was a kick in a sense, an adventure of many peoples in little towns in America coming together casually.

Those days are now gone forever.

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

Reply   Options 

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-10 2:31 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 3) 
 4591.3 in reply to 4591.2 

I remember catching a Trailways once in a tiny, blink and you missed it town once, and I was amazed, we had come up there on a Greyhound, and Trailways still took our return ticket!   This was before Greyhound had bought Trailways, in the mid 80's I think.....

I agree, those days are long gone, and those in very rural areas are stuck. 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.