MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

L.E.D.'s   Technical-Bikes

Started 12/8/08 by dbq79; 5183 views.
In reply toRe: msg 100
seabird1974

Jun-21

Sorry to revive this old thread but I replaced my old flasher unit with a led flasher but still have to remove my indicator bulb in the speedo to have it all work correctly. 

Is the solution to change that bulb to led? Or should I start soldering extra parts in somewhere.

I really like having a indicator bulb

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Follow the diode wiring in the wKB

In reply toRe: msg 102
seabird1974

Jun-23

Yes, I had seen that but was under the impression that that was needed when you keep the stock flasher. Should I still do this? Or is mixing solutions not a good idea? 

lebdjtim

Jun-23

Diode's for the indicator bulb and the resistor mod for the flasher are two seperate things.  The diode's are a "one way" path for the current to travel and the resistor in the flasher is to slow it down. 

In reply toRe: msg 104
seabird1974

Jun-25

Picked up 2 diodes today and plan to test them tomorrow. My plan is to install the directly under the speedo. So just put one on each side of the indicator bulb, correct?

Can I still upgrade the indicator bulb to led in that case? Or do these not play together. 

In reply toRe: msg 105
seabird1974

Jun-25

Doing a bit more reading I understand I have to change the wiring slightly. The 2 existing wires will get a diode and between the diodes and the bulb joined together together to be the +

On the other side of the bulb I install a ground wire and connect it to the nearest ground. Anybody knows where I can find the nearest ground? Or should I not try and fiddle this underneath the speedo and go closer to available ground? 

lebdjtim

Jun-25

When I did mine I used the the closest ground.  There is a ground in the harness for the speedo already.  Also keep in mind the diodes are one way so you need to connect them correctly.  Might want to test it before using heat shrink to insulate them.

• Edited June 25, 2020 6:47 pm  by  lebdjtim
In reply toRe: msg 107
seabird1974

Jun-27

Just looking on the Internet for LED bulbs to replace the existing bulbs (while I am at it anyways....). Which ones to order? 

#24? #74? #194? T5? T10? 

The wiki states T6.5 but can't find those in LED anywhere. Check light, neutral, indicator and oil can be single SMD. Backlingt I will look for a 3SMD to provide more 360 degree pattern. 

Links to exact bulbs would be appreciated but just basic specs would do. 

Zonker1972

Jun-28

i bookmarked this page years ago when i was going to replace the speedo backlighting. i don't know about T6.5 but these LED are a direct replacement for #74 bulbs and are 3SMD.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/74-led-bulb-3-smd-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/228/

In reply toRe: msg 109
seabird1974

Jul-2

Today was the day. Tapped the ground and connected the 2 diodes. Unfortunately not to the desired effect. I get a constant 12v on the connection at the light. 

Brown is tapped to ground (tested) and brown green is connected via the diodes.