The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Clutch    New Member Introductions

Started Aug-1 by mellojoe; 233 views.
mellojoe

Aug-1

Hey everyone my name is Joe mello I have a 04 vstar  1100 classic l am having some problems with my bike I think it's the  clutch the bike has 30,000 miles I've been experiencing some slipping when grabbing a handful of throttle going uphill in third gear. Yesterday I was riding uphill at about 50 mph and she started lurching  I backed off the throttle and the lurching stopped until I was going up the next hill anybody have any input?

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Have you adjusted it at the bottom end?

RCCola45

Aug-2

Click here for step by step adjustment

mellojoe

Aug-2

So I adjusted the clutch at the bottom and broke loose lock  nut loosened screw turned in until lightly seated backed out 1/4 turn seemed to have excessive free play at lever  adjusted that at lever I'll take it for a ride and see how it works thanks for your input 

RCCola45

Aug-2

One thing more that could be something to look at ... the oil that your using ...  the stamp of the oil container must NOT contain the words 'Energy Conserving'.

I used Moble 1 20W50 and if I tried to get more than like 5,000 miles out of it ... I would get slippage ... a simple oil change cured it for me.

Click here to read more on what you can do if it continues to slip.

mellojoe

Aug-2

Still running  yamalube 10w40 and change it at 3,000 miles I've been hesitant to use synthetic oil because I don't know enough 

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

50,000+ miles on mine, never anything but synthetic.......still original clutch.

mellojoe

Aug-7

Ok next oil change will be mobile 1 20-50 synthetic thanks for the info and I have been commuting up and down Donner Summit will no clutch problems after adjustment at the bottom end