The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New member in forum   Newbie Q&A

Started Aug-10 by corbell99; 520 views.
corbell99

Aug-10

I am a new member in this forum.  My name is Shane or corbell99.  I have a 2004 vstar 1100 classic that I am having charging issues with.   I replaced the stator and rectifier.  I have taken it out to test it 3 times and pushed it back 3 times.  I have not had the chance to test the output of the new stator but I did the one I replaced.  The voltages were half of what they were supposed to be.  Could there be something else causing a low voltage output?

RCCola45

Aug-10

If you have not read up and used the KB ... Click here

There is a PDF there for troubleshooting.   One question that you will be asked so I will ask it now.   Where did you buy the stator and the rectifier.  If the answer was NOT from Yamaha and answer is ebay or amazon then you have your answer right there.  

I never had problems with charging system but I kinda think sounds like stator problem with only putting out 1/2 voltage.   Only thing is the stator very seldom go out but the regulator/ rectifier go out pretty often and there has never been a good after market made for the vstar.

corbell99

Aug-10

Thanks for responding.  I have read a few troubleshooting guides.  The stator and rectifier were ordered at the local shop that I deal with but not OEM.  They have used this source enough that it was a trusted source.  Of course that doesn't mean anything I guess.  I haven't had the opportunity to test the output.  I didn't think of that since I just put it on.  I will check output again and go from there.   

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

The track record for non-OEM electrical parts on the 1100 is not good. Also, in the 10+ years I've been on here, I think I've seen maybe 2 bad stators. 99% of the time is the reg/rec. The details are all in the wKB including the part number for a OE HD one....which is the only one I'd suggest using.

ABE (spud116)

Aug-30

One of those was mine but it had about 120,000 miles on it when it went bad. Visibly cooked one of the lobes on the stator.

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Ahhh yes Abe...I remember. Even now, you just don't see it happening much.

oilnwater

Aug-30

I bought a aftermarket rec/reg and sure enough only lasted a month. I’m also drilling holes in my cover like it says in the knowledge base

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

That's  what usually happens. The holes will help.....so will an OEM unit.

crazeeharry

Aug-31

Go with a OEM Road-star unit, a bit of a squeeze but will fit, heavier duty, & doesn't seem to fail on a V*.