The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Greeting from a "new" XVS rider   New Member Introductions

Started Aug-15 by 7JEP; 390 views.
7JEP

Aug-15

Jerry here!  I’m very happy to find this Forum. I had no idea how popular the XVS was!

Just bought a “new” (to me) 2003 XVS 1100 Classic.  Last bike I had was 22 years ago and it was an ‘81 XS 1100 Special.  Loved the bike but moved from LA to NYC (Hells Kitchen, Manhattan) and would have had to pay $1200.00 year to just park.  Bike love has it’s limits!

My XVS is AWESOME. Super well cared for and only 5000 miles (on an ‘03).  New “everything” – literally.  New tires, new battery, new starter, new tune up and oil change, new regulator and stators, few years ago carburetor needle valves and adjustment.  Leaves me to concentrate on my one annoyance and “the little shit”.

Had it out last week in Blue Ridge Mountains Skyline Drive (Shenandoah National Park, Front Royal, Virginia) to help learn my new center of gravity. Much lower than the XS. I had a great time.  A little chilly at the higher altitudes was all.  

Only thing (problem?) is that it has what are pretty sweet looking Cobra exhausts BUT they pop like mad. The guy I bought it from really liked the pops. I don’t.  So unless I hear otherwise I’m looking for a couple spent 45 shell casings and plan to remove the AIS system (testing first). My understanding is that it will reduce the popping.

Any tips or feedback on this would be appreciated. 

Another thing I’m doing is cutting back the octane. The previous owner seems to have never read the manual and I suspect he thought 91 RON on the sticker was the same as 91 AKI.  Anyhow, when I was down a couple of gallons I put in regular and, maybe my imagination, but it seems to pop less.  I just hope I don’t have to get into a carburetor adjustment. 

I’m ready to ride!

In reply toRe: msg 1
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

No need to remove the AIS to fix the backfire. Just turn the pilot mixture screws out 1/4 turn on each carb. It's all in the wKB. Just click the link below the forum name up top. Here' a link to the topic....https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/tuning/pilot-mixture-screws

I also suggest reading the "New Owners" section in there.....indispensable info that could save you a ton of money.

7JEP

Aug-15

Thanks.  I will definitely give that a shot.  The link is appreciated.  I think I'll wait until I am running all regular gas though. 

I'll be totally happy with it working but maybe I'll remove it some day when I have nothing else to do (right) because it's butt ugly and is about the only thing with rust on it.

joy

Today's project was installing a qI wireless phone charging holder.  Vitally needed as I am lost without my GPS.  Connected it up to the low beam circuit so it comes on when the key is turned.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Yup...remove it for looks..... make sure you have aftermarket exhaust.

7JEP

Aug-16

Thanks. They look like Cobras to me.  Positively not OEM which someone gave me a set.

Now a further question, will removing them affect the carburetor settings?

Will plugging the pump and flipping the hoses provide a good test as to what to expect from doing the complete removal?

In reply toRe: msg 5
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Just need a PMS adjustment with exhaust change. Dial it in until the backfire stops.

You can plug the AIS........but you won't notice anything.

Dan (Kamikazedan)

Aug-16

Welcome to the gaggle. I have been a happy owner of both an XS 750 Special and an 850 Special, and 750 and 1100 Viragos. Long and happy Association with Yamahas

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

you can make a tool for $3....vinyl tubing and some trans fluid or 2 cycle oil. Super easy to do....info is here

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/maintenance-repairs/carburetor?authuser=0

Hard to say if you'd have issues....depends on how bad it is. Probably be OK....but as easy as it is to do....why not learn?

7JEP

Aug-17

Old dog new tricks.  I've always been a little intimidated by multiple carburetors.  My old XS 1100 had 4 of them.  It looks like the documentation is pretty thorough so WTH?  Why not. 

Thanks.

FranXVS1100

Aug-17

Hello and welcome from Ireland.