_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

CLICK   Technical-Bikes

Started Aug-24 by Two Bellies (udson); 247 views.
Two Bellies (udson)

Aug-24

Hello again guys, it's bin a while......

I have the auto-electrical knowledge of a dead hamster, and my bike has developed a starting problem. It started quite some time ago, but has got progressively worse. Upon pressing the starter button all I get is a single CLICK. This used to happen only the once, then the bike would turn over and start on the next press of the button. Now it can take maybe 8 or 10 pressings of the button and 8 or 10 single CLICKS before the bike turns over and starts. I have experienced failing batteries in the past which result in a rapid series of clicks when pressing the starter button. This is completely different to what I am experiencing now. Everything else seems OK. I hear the fuel pump priming, and when the the bike does turn over and start, it is not struggling. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Ian ( UK )

Cobb (AussieCobb)

Aug-25

If you get Single Click its normally the Relay

if you get Multiple Clicks.....  then its normally a bad Earth or poor power connection.

Tho start with the easiest and clean all your Power and Earth Connections on the Starter, Frame etc.  And also check to make sure your Starter Button is not built up with Calcification from sparks... take the Starter Button apart and clean them contact points shiny.

RCCola45

Aug-25

Following along with the good ideas from Cobb one more spot that to clean and make sure is tight is wires going to the starter.   Some here have taken the starter off and upon opening it up have found all kinds of carbon build up.   Once cleaning it up, the starter would fire and turn faster.   Good Luck!!! 

Two Bellies (udson)

Aug-26

Cheers Cobb. 

I don't have a meter to check the relay, so I was just gonna change it and hope for the best until I found out the price. I'll call in a favour and get a mate to check it out before splashing the cash. 

Ian ( UK ) 

Two Bellies (udson)

Aug-26

Cheers mate, message received and understood. 

Ian ( UK )