The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Motorcycle Jack   General Discussion

Started Sep-2 by turnermw; 427 views.
turnermw

Sep-2

I am looking to purchase a Jack for my bike. I don’t need anything fancy. Just something to use when I am changing the oil or tune ups. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance 

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

I have a hydraulic jack and a simple $40 lever lift. The lever lift gets used 99.9% of the time. I'm going to sell the hydraulic one one of these days.......

turnermw

Sep-2

Thanks for the info. I kinda figured that would do for what I would use it for. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t creating more work for myself. 

Texpatriat

Sep-2

You can make one with some 2x8s and a piece of iron pipe. Youtube has a lot of variations. They are all cheap and easy. All you really need to do is get the bike upright with the wheels off the ground. I've never found it necessary to have more than one wheel free at a time.

My friend showed me something that works great on the Vstar 1100.  (It's a bit tougher of a fit on say my wife's Honda shadow).  It sounds similar to what textpatriat sent you.  I take a 4 x 4 stud, cut it into (4) 1-ft lengths, then stack one on top of another for each side of the bike  (essentially a one foot piece of 4 x 8 stud).  While the bike is on kick stand, slide one stack length-wise, parallel to the rear frame, set about 4 inches away from the bike, so that when the bike is stood up straight, the blocks would be directly below the right frame tubing.  Then place the other two blocks on left side of bike, lined up evenly.  Slide up kick stand, and stand bike up straight.  Lean slightly to the right while you tuck the blocks in from the right.  You should then have the bike stand perfectly upright, with a super solid base.  I use that for most work.  Of course, if you need the wheels off the ground, you'll need a bit more.  Try it if you get the chance.

Craig 

turnermw

Sep-6

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to try it. 

Dan (Kamikazedan)

Sep-9

I agree... I did exactly that, putting a pair of 2x8 pieces together to form a triangle, with a hole drilled in so I could insert a chunk of pipe to lever it up. My first attempt actually attached to the center stand lugs (or whatever they are) under the frame, but I found the narrow support base just a bit too unstable to be worth the fiddly hassle of getting it attached.

Zonker1972

Sep-9

i use this one more than my bike jack

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

i originally made it for my 650. i think i had to do a bit of a modification to get it to fit but it works great.

zonker

turnermw

Sep-9

I saw that one. I was wondering how well it worked. May give it a shot