_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

High idle but only when in gear   Technical-Bikes

Started Oct-23 by seabird1974; 781 views.
seabird1974

Oct-23

Dear all, 

After putting my bike back together I warmed it up, set rpm to 1000 synced and tuned it. 

Then on my drive when I pull the clutch the idle is very high and only drops back to normal when switched to neutral (with or without clutch) 

What can cause this? 

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

PMS needs adjustment.

seabird1974

Oct-23

Leaner?  And why does it only do this in gear? 

crazeeharry

Oct-23

+1

As Mick said.....

i.e.

Mine did that, I did a lean drop, (PMS) synch'ed readjusted the RPM's re-synched, went back an forth in smaller and smaller increments until it all settled out.

(6 years ago now, with no further high idle issues.) I used the Vinyl tube Manometer, (Easy pessy) I have pods and a full exhaust, AIS pulled and tossed.

seabird1974

Oct-24

OK, back to the lean drop it is. But how come it only does it in gear and not in idle. Can't wrap my head around the mechanics for it to do this

crazeeharry

Oct-26

mine did it in gear too, but after a few seconds after dropping into neutral it would settle down, the Sync cured it I stopped worrying about it not making sense, I just jkeep her sync'ed. LOL

seabird1974

Oct-26

That is exactly my problem. Back to sync too again in that case

crazeeharry

Oct-26

Just an FYI on my sync issues.

My friend had a 'set' of complicated vacuum gages (to do up to 6/8 cylinders) and we sync'ed the carbs with that (Three times.) without success... (Bike ran good but for the idle issue.)

I got a 8 ft length of vinyl tubing made a simple u-bend manometer, added an oz or two of 2-stroke oil and sync'ed with that, ( I did not plug the tube ends with old jets to restrict flow) and boy was it sensitive!!!

I had to shut the bike off several times to stop the oil getting sucked into one cylinder or the other, but with tweaking it settled down after a few tries and I could get the oil to balance perfectly on both sides of the U, & the problem was solved.

Keep It Simply Simple ! 

Elaborate vacuum manifold kit was too convoluted (also old) and (I think) not sensitive enough to get it right, right.... (I could be wrong!!!)

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/maintenance-repairs/carburetor

I used Version 1.

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

seabird1974

Oct-27

Oh dear. I used to use a version 1 but got sick of the oil filled tube hanging around my garage so dismantled it and splurred out for a fancy one for up to 4 cylinders. 

Will try to sync it again and might reassemble the old one to check how accurate I got it.

Why did I have to overcomplicated things.....

In reply toRe: msg 9
seabird1974

Oct-28

Just to rule out anything silly on my behalf:

I have a hardline hour/Tacho meter installed on my bike. I have set it for 2p1r (2 pulses equals 1 rotation). This is correct? 

Or am I trying to tune my bike at 2000rpm by accident?