The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Bike won't start...learning to wrench this thing as I go...   Technical-Bikes

Started Oct-24 by JuiceJack; 416 views.
JuiceJack

Oct-24

So working on a friend's 2009 1100 that was improperly stored some years ago. Fuel tank was drained, and that's it. And I don't have experience working on bikes so am having to self-educate as I go.

So....

Here's where I'm at.

1) Pulled fuel tank and cleaned varnish out of tank shutoff.

2) Filled with premium gas

3) Found battery dead, and hooked up jumper cables.

4) Disconnected fuel line on right side and made sure fuel was flowing out (didn't understand the dual-fuel line arrangement at this point).

5) Got bike cranking over using jumper cables, and got it to actually fire up briefly (5 min or so) at idle. It would rev at this point.

6) Bought/installed new battery.

7) Couldn't get it to restart again, so watched Youtube and learned how to pull carbs and cleaned floats and ports on bottom side. Did not pull top side apart, hoping stupidly that it would run after cleaning junk from carbs. When I pulled the front air intake elbow, I noticed oil in the bottom. The carb port itself didn't look bad, but no idea where that blew past, so concerned that I have another problem somewhere in the engine.

8) Cranked it until battery ran down, without any sign of ignition. Confirmed fuel coming out of both fuel lines. Tried a shot of carb cleaner down the intake, with no result.

What should I check next? Check if plugs carboned up? Should I pull the carbs again and clean the tops? Something more subtle? Electrically, mechanically, I'm pretty good. But internal combustion stuff has always been my downfall.

crazeeharry

Oct-26

Guys here will want to know:

is the intake stock, i.e. - airbox dog bowl air cleaner and AIS system hooked up etc ... If so then a little oil in the elbow would be normal, comes from the case breather on the front cylinder back into airbox.

You got fuel flow (pressure)  to both carbs from the fuel pump, you should be able to hear the pump buzz briefly when you turn ignition to hot?  Did you check the fuel filter under seat?

Did you check for 'spark' on both plugs?

When you opened, was there gas in the bowls? Did you clean the jets? did you check / clean the tiny screens under the float needles and seats? Did you clean the little holes in the side of the idle jets?  

Are there any codes, (flashing engine light)?

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

JuiceJack

Oct-26

crazeeharry said:

is the intake stock, i.e. - airbox dog bowl air cleaner and AIS system hooked up etc ...

Yes it is. The bike is completely stock.

If so then a little oil in the elbow would be normal, comes from the case breather on the front cylinder back into airbox.

OK...makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

You got fuel flow (pressure) to both carbs from the fuel pump, you should be able to hear the pump buzz briefly when you turn ignition to hot?

OK...the fuel pump may be stuck. When I turn the ignition, I hear tickatickaticka, like a locked rotating part trying to spin. But I still get fuel out of both fuel lines. Please educate me...does the bike need the positive pressure from the pump to the carburetors to run?

Did you check the fuel filter under seat?

I saw where it was...did not check/replace it yet. Are they cleanable, or an automatic replacement?

Did you check for 'spark' on both plugs?

Not yet because it did run once after I cleaned the fuel tank valve...that was next on the list, in case they are varnished/carbonized/etc..

When you opened, was there gas in the bowls?

Yes

Did you clean the jets?

Yes, all 6. Made sure I could see daylight through them but didn't ram anything in them that would enlarge the opening.

did you check / clean the tiny screens under the float needles and seats?

No. I pulled the floats and float needles. Needles were clean down to the tip. Made sure carb cleaner flowed out when I squirted it in the intake where fuel line attached. Didn't know there were screens in there, and not sharp enough to know if flow out the opening meant it was clean enough.

Did you clean the little holes in the side of the idle jets?

Not sure. Need more schooling on what is the idle jet.

Will check this again after I charge the battery. It's raining cats/dogs outside so that will have to wait a minute.

Is there any reason I might damage the bike charging it off a car?

crazeeharry

Oct-26

crazeeharry said:

is the intake stock, i.e. -

Yes it is. The bike is completely stock.... OK! Later, go to pods, 10% . HP increase No hot start problems.... ( : ))

If so then a little oil in the elbow would be normal, comes from the case breather on the front cylinder back into airbox.

OK...makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. Puts blow by oil back through the carbs Emissions.

You got fuel flow (pressure) to both carbs from the fuel pump, you should be able to hear the pump buzz briefly when you turn ignition to hot?

OK...the fuel pump may be stuck. When I turn the ignition, I hear tickatickaticka, YES, that is more representative of the sound... = pump is working = fuel to carbs) like a locked rotating part trying to spin. But I still get fuel out of both fuel lines. Please educate me...does the bike need the positive pressure from the pump to the carburetors to run?

Did you check the fuel filter under seat?  Tiny plastic Screens under the needle seat, but with gas in the bowl, probably not an issue)

I saw where it was...did not check/replace it yet. Are they cleanable, or an automatic replacement?

Did you check for 'spark' on both plugs?

Not yet because it did run once after I cleaned the fuel tank valve...that was next on the list, in case they are varnished/carbonized/etc..

When you opened, was there gas in the bowls?

Yes

Did you clean the jets?

Yes, all 6. Made sure I could see daylight through them but didn't ram anything in them that would enlarge the opening.   

did you check / clean the tiny screens under the float needles and seats?

No. I pulled the floats and float needles. Needles were clean down to the tip. Made sure carb cleaner flowed out when I squirted it in the intake where fuel line attached. Didn't know there were screens in there, and not sharp enough to know if flow out the opening meant it was clean enough.

Did you clean the little holes in the side of the idle jets?  Idle jet has extra hole around the side of the barrel

Not sure. Need more schooling on what is the idle jet.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/tuning/carb-jetting

Will check this again after I charge the battery. It's raining cats/dogs outside so that will have to wait a minute.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/repairs/check-engine-trouble-codes

Is there any reason I might damage the bike charging it off a car?    Nope, not that I know! Not that I've slept in a Holiday Inn recently either ... BTW! 

Confirm Spark, also when you engage the starter, is the engine itself turning/cranking ?

JuiceJack

Oct-30

OK. Charged battery off car. Cranked for a bit. Then slid choke control all the way forward and bike kicked over and started. Very rough at first, which I expected. Would stall out instantly if I cracked the throttle, which I also expected.

Let it idle for a while, and idle started to smooth out.

Squirted carb cleaner down the throat a bit at a time. It started to smooth out, and eventually rev up. Moved it back into the garage under its own power. And then of course couldn't get it to shift back into neutral. But need something for tomorrow, eh?

In reply toRe: msg 5
JuiceJack

Nov-2

...and success!

The bike now runs, and after about 5 miles, it's smoothing out and running well. Thanks for the help.

crazeeharry

Nov-3

Enjoy the fruits of your labour.... ( : ))