_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I'm a newbie to this site....   New Member Introductions

Started Nov-29 by OldAFVetProf; 884 views.
OldAFVetProf

Nov-29

Hello all. I am happy to find you. I have been over wandering around on the VMAX forum; nice bunch of folks, but I am better off now that I have found you. I am 66 years old. Air Force Vet. Started out enlisted, got a degree, flew fighters for about 15 years and then did some R&D. Retired in 2001, went to do R&D at a defense contractor, retired in 2015, part time professor at East Central University in Ada, OK (chased kids/grandkids here...Ada is like Denny's...not a place you go to, but a place you end up at). Raced motocross (on Yamaha, as it turns out), etc., before I joined the Air Force. Bought a Kaw 750E while I was in pilot training, sold it before I moved to England in '85. The real reason was that everytime I looked at the speedo, it said 80 or better...I knew I was going to kill myself. Last year my son retired from the Coast Guard and said what he would like to do was to get motorcycles and do some touring. Since I wasn't around much when he was a kid (always going someplace to fix some dumb problem with high explosives), I asked my wife and she said she thought it was a good idea. Ran into an older guy at concealed carry class who had traded for a 2006 V Star 1100 because the guy who had the bike was in a bit of trouble and the bike got moved in a trade to straighten things out. Problem was the old guy had vertigo and couldn't ride it at all! So I bought her (Betty the Bike), and my son and I were going this last summer, but well....the VID got everyone. So I spent the spring putting on new tires, rebuilding the forks and the brakes, cleaning Betty up, etc. She is ready to go now--took awhile to relearn how to ride her--and I ride her every chance I get, mostly to the University, where the students look at me like I am senile (?kids (?!?). I do all of my own maintenance: I have been wrenching since I was 12 and I am fearless, I have a nice shop with a lift I built a bike conversion for and I have my eye set on next summer with the Chief (my son) but no destination yet. A long winded greeting to let you know how happy I am to have found you and am looking forward to being here. 

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Welcome. Make sure to check out the Wiki Knowledge Base. Just click on the link at the top of the page

Dan (Kamikazedan)

Dec-2

Welcome from an RCAF vet (enlisted tech then commissioned engineer) who also does his own wrenching. You have a lift? I think I hate you already

Fran132

Dec-3

Nice story, welcome from Ireland. Your bike looks beautiful, well done.

Welcome to the forum!  Great intro BTW! I switched from a Vmax to the Vstar 1100 and can say I will never go back.  I always felt that I would eventually kill myself on that thing.  Cruisers are sooo much more comfortable!  Feel free to ask any questions, I do! ;)  The knowledge base has tons of great info!

Craig  

OldAFVetProf

Dec-3

Glad to be here Dan. I, too, came up through the ranks. Enlisted guys make the best officers.

I do have a lift...but it is actually easier than you think. It cost around $1500 (two years ago), and my son and I went to Ft. Worth and picked it up, brought it home and installed it. You can do it with a 4 inch thick floor. The ceiling height is the usual culprit. When I built this house, I put in a 12 foot ceiling in this garage so I can walk under automobiles. I work on my own cars and other folks who are in a bit of trouble and need some help. In fact, I'm like the cobbler whose kid's shoes are worn out. I have a veritable Christmas tree of lights shining on my pickup dash, but none of them are critical (except maybe the airbag) and I just haven't had time to get to them. Anyway, here is a pix of my bike on the carrier I made for it. Works like a champ. 

OldAFVetProf

Dec-3

Thank you, sir. Our family hails from Ireland (partly). We are going back again before too long. We love it there. Beautiful country, great folks. 

OldAFVetProf

Dec-3

My guess is I will be in that knowledge base before too long. I changed my fork oil last summer and had trouble getting the allen screw out of the bottom (big surprise). I did get it finally with my impact wrench, but I was looking for what the end of that special Yamaha tool looks like. In the end I did get away without it, but I sure could have used some more help! Thank you. 

OldAFVetProf

Dec-3

I took a quick peek at it...when something eventually does go wrong, I will sure use it. Thank you for hosting this forum...feels like home. relaxed

Dan (Kamikazedan)

Dec-3

That's definitely the way to git 'er done! Sweet price, too! I built my home with an 8-foot basement and a double door, specifically for bringing my bike in for service or winter storage. I have one of those pallet jack style bike lifts, but it is a bit narrow to really hold the bike with any stability. Someday, who knows, maybe I will get a full size bike lift!