MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Oil relocation kit   General Discussion

Started Dec-11 by tntlod; 482 views.
tntlod

Dec-11

Hello everyone,

I've been wanting to but an oil relocation kit for my 2003 v-star 1100 Classic. I was looking to get the Baron custom accessories kit number BA-2640-00 from Dennis Kirk supplies. It says it fits my bike but where it says I need to mount it (If I understood it right) there is some kind of Black cylinder in the way. I don't know if you can see it very good. I'll try to put a better picture on tonight. Anyone install these on your bike?

In reply toRe: msg 1
Texpatriat

Dec-11

That's your rear brake master cylinder. I don't know anything about the ORK but you may have to also relocate the master cylinder. It wouldn't be a big deal. Are you sure you really want to do the ORK? I thought I did but after some research changed my mind.

tntlod

Dec-11

To be honest this is the first Yamaha  V-Star 1100 I've owned. I had a V-Star 650 and it was easy to change the oil in it. I just bought the bike a few months ago and have not changed the oil yet. I know it needs it and it seems like such a hassle to drop the Running board and the exhaust. I figured the ORK would be a great help. But I don't want to try to move my master cylinder to the back brakes either. I guess I need to find out which is the least of the two evils. What made you change your mind?

In reply toRe: msg 3
Texpatriat

Dec-11

I was a little unclear. It's not your master cylinder. It is the fluid reservoir. If it needs to move the kit may contain a bracket for that purpose. Check with the seller.

tntlod

Dec-11

I will. Thanks for the advice.

Zonker1972

Dec-11

for the ORK on my bike, i just cut the rear master cylinder reserve mount off the down tube and used some automotive paint on the downtube to cover where the bracket attached. once you get the ORK on the bike you can zip tie the rear master cylinder reserve back to the downtube. quite easy and you won't even see the part where you re-painted.

zonker

Donn (99Orton)

Dec-12

Check the wKB. there are mods for relocating the reservoir.

jas2048

Dec-22

When I bought my 2000 V Star 1100 it already had the Baron's Oil Filter Relocation Kit installed. However, it did have a slight leak/weep of oil at one of the oil lines that was due to "cross threading" of the line at the oil filter canister. I replaced the line only to find that bot the line nipple AND the canister were cross threaded. So both had to be replaced which fixed the issue, but it did reinforce the fact that when mating the line with the canister extra care must be taken to insure that they are perfectly aligned to avoid cross threading of either the line or the canister or both. The nipple on the line is quite thin and can be easily torn while the canister is of aluminum billet and can be stripped or cross threaded easily. 

tntlod

Dec-22

Thanks for the info. After thinking about it I have decided to skip the ORK. I will only be changing my oil once a year so I'll just drop the exhaust and floorboard and change the oil that way. I can spend the money on other stuff I'd like to do to the bike.

Terry

Texpatriat

Dec-22

A wise choice. You can put the money toward those new pipes and then you'll only have to mess with one of them each year.