MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Removed Solenoids Entirely - Plugs Leaking Gas   Tuning&Exhaust:04cal/06 up

Started Jan-20 by ChrisF250; 381 views.
ChrisF250

Jan-20

All,

Hoping someone could help me out with a minor gas leak coming from my float bowls.  I just fired up my bike after rejetting and removing the solenoids as detailed in the knowledge base.

I replaced the solenoids with a pair of M8 x 1.0mm x 8mm fine pitch grub screws.  As mentioned in the Carb Jetting Bible, "the 8mm socket head fits fine, the head fits into the recess in the carb".

Only issue I have is the plugs are slowly leaking/dripping gas while the bike is running. Not sure if there is a sealant I can put on the threads that is compatible with the carbs/gas/engine heat, etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions on how to proceed and stop the leaks would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

2007 V Star 1100 Custom Midnight

XVS11W-M

• Edited January 20, 2021 4:46 pm  by  ChrisF250
Texpatriat

Jan-20

I think I used hex head rather than allen head hardware and put an o-ring around them.

You might try black RTV or teflon plumbers tape.

ChrisF250

Jan-20

Thanks!

I was just in the garage fitting a hex head with an o-ring and the cooper washer(s) from the solenoids

I also thought of using plumbers tape but wasn't sure if it would be OK with the gas

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Teflon tape is what you need

Fireteacher

Jan-22

Use Teflon Tape that is specifically designed for use with gas.  Otherwise, the normal version will disintegrate and cause more problems than just a leak.