The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

oil change   General Discussion

Started Feb-5 by Dixie66; 476 views.
Dixie66

Feb-5

My bike handled great last time I rode it, a week ago,  I changed the oil to 20/50 today but when I went out it felt like it was starting to slide on the back end and wiggle a bit on the back tyre when I accelerated , have I caused some sort of problem in the gearbox/ mid drive by using heavier oil, had to turn back as it felt wrong but found nothing loose??

crazeeharry

Feb-5

Did you fully tighten the oil drain plug? Lol.

Seriously though, if the oil in NOT "Energy Conserving" it is not the problem.

Texpatriat

Feb-5

Did you check your tire pressure?

Dixie66

Feb-6

Yes, first thing i did because the correct pressures are crucial on this particular bike but it made no difference, even the smallest corner it felt like it wanted to slide , something is very wrong but i cannot see it?? and no leaks , no oil on the tyre, no side movement on the swing arm.

OldAFVetProf

Feb-6

I had a similar thing happen to me, Dixie. As far as I knew I hadn't changed anything but I went out to ride it and it felt like the back end was made out of Jello. I pulled over, looked at everything I could think of and couldn't find anything wrong. Rode it home very gingerly. Checked tire pressures, shook out the wheels, sat on it and tried to move it around with my bum, did the hoochi koochi, whatever...I just could not find anything wrong. The next day when I took it out it was okay. Extremely weird. All I could really come up with is the temperature was causing the pavement to go through some sort of stasis change...I guess.  ????

So if it were me, I'd check it over and then wait a day and try it again. Zombie maintenance, I guess. Scary.

Dixie66

Feb-6

YES, taped the brake and the arse end went everywhere , then again a few minutes later accelerated on to big road it went everywhere and i'm on a straight line .  I think that i will put more air in the back than normal as this  bike seems to need it, crazy because i went out a few days before and i could throw it about no problem, i'll let you know what happens next , after had a good look at the swingarm..

Dixie66

Feb-6

Been riding 50 years but never had shit like this , had an electra glide once that like to go straight on in a bend until i put a torque plate under the gearbox/swingarm..

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Over 65,000 miles on mine and never an issue. But I have had the swing arm off to grease and check the bearing at least 4 times in that many miles. Not saying that could be it, but if it hasn't been done, it's something to look at.

Also, the shock on these things is pretty much gone at around 20,000 miles. That could also be a factor.

Then again, road conditions could also be a factor.

Dixie66

Feb-7

Hi Mick, I don't know if you remember me but I had all that apart to drill the mid drive shaft a few months ago, it's been great all this time then suddenly not, I will check for movement on the rear wheel and swingarm before I try it again ,  the speedo says 25,000 and it's a 2001 , I don't know if that's real..

crazeeharry

Feb-7

Middle drive and swing arm a few months ago, you say.

I'd be suspicious of something there maybe coming undone!

I'd get the rear end off the ground and check for play every which way.

I knew these symptoms to happen on a harley, turned out a rear wheel -bearing race disintegrated chewed the axle, bearings cup in the wheel hubto a greasy metallic paste like a mortar ands pestle.

Also check tire for out of round, a deformation, lump, etc.

These are usually very well mannered bikes. I got 56k on mine.