_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Turn the ignition on, everything works except no noise from fuel pump   Technical-Bikes

Started Feb-21 by Domino_Dude; 326 views.
Domino_Dude

Feb-21

'03 V-Star 1100 Silverado with 72K miles.  Been setting on a trickle charger for a few months since lasted started.  Battery was weak so installed new battery.  Now everything works except no noise from fuel pump like it use to do.  How do I test fuel pump and are there any fuses to look as and where are they located..

Texpatriat

Feb-21

When you say everything works does it start. The fuel pump doesn't always run. If it won't start and it's not getting gas you need to look at the pump and /or wiring. If you just don't here it every time you turn the key that's normal. There is some stuff in the wiki (I think) about fuel pumps and alternatives to OEM. Easy to get to if you need to.

Domino_Dude

Feb-22

The motor starts, but only with the choke/enricher on, runs rough on both cylinders...  Dies when I give it any gas or try to turn the choke off.  I think its the "Starter Relay" not providing power to the pump or the pump itself....More testing this afternoon  standby for more info... Ken

Donn (99Orton)

Feb-22

Your pilot jets are clogged. You need to remove the carbs and clean them.

RCCola45

Feb-22

I don't think its the starter relay ... remove the carbs and check the pilot jets ... each pilot jet has 3 holes ... take magnifying glass and make sure each hole is clear.  2 holes are cross cross and one up and down.   

crazeeharry

Feb-23

Just pull the fuel line past the pump turn the ignition to on and see if you get fuel flow, take the lower left cover off and feel the pump as you do this, you should feel it buzz when it pumps.

but beware that if the pump is working then the pilot jets are often the culprit.

Texpatriat

Feb-24

In either case it has nothing to do with the starter relay.

Domino_Dude

Feb-28

Thanks for the reply.  I have good fuel flow from the tank on both main & reserve, all the way through fuel filter and to the input side of the pump.

Pulled the pump outlet line and turned the key on - no output/clicking etc.  Disconnected the cable to the pump - one of the two pins is ground, the other has no voltage. 

Per Yamaha shop manual, fuel pump power comes from the "Starting circuit cut-off relay".

Not sure where that relay is located or what it looks like.

TIA