The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Idle to flick/rev problem   General Discussion

Started Mar-14 by 7JEP; 357 views.
7JEP

Mar-14

I'm sure this has been addressed in the forum but I'll be damned if I can find it.  Sorry.

The thing is that I have screwed up my idle to rev/flick.  I bought a gauge to sync the carburetors and couldn't read it.   I have no recollection of what I adjusted to try and failed to get the thing to work.  I gave up, sent it back and made a DIY guage.

I have screwed with the PMS screws and the carburetor adjustments and now all I can get it to do it idle.  As soon as I try to flick  the throttle , it dies.

I need it to flick so I can adjust the carbs.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  I'm at wits end.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

What do you mean by "flick"?

7JEP

Mar-15

One of the YouTube videos on synchronizing the carbs suggested giving the throttle a little flick between adjustment.  Regardless, with the engine idling, as soon as a twist the throttle even the tiniest bit the engine stalls. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

No need to rev when syncing.....it's done at an idle and once it's set.....you're done. Don't believe everything you hear. :)

You've got something messed up in the carbs.....like a plugged pilot jet maybe.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Donn (99Orton)

Mar-16

Quit watching YouTube! How do you know whoever made the video knows what he's doing?

7JEP

Mar-16

Point taken.  I'll warm her up and balance the carbs and go from there.  Thanks.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Zonker1972

Mar-16

you said you screwed with the PMS. this is not done for the carb sync. set your PMS as stated in the KB https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/tuning/carb-jetting there is a table

then to balance the carbs use the carb sync screw on the bottom of the carbs facing . turn the screw slowly and see where the oil ends up. if it goes up for one side and you want it to go down, turn the screw the other way.

good luck