MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Engine cuts out at 5000 RPMs   Tuning&Exhaust:99-05 non cal

Started 6/8/21 by Vadose; 3247 views.
In reply toRe: msg 19
Vadose

6/16/21

I tucked the vent hose under the tank and made no difference. I was messing with the PMS screws and I have them at a 1/4 turn out  from being seated. I have no  backfire at deceleration  and it helped the loss of power at high RPMs but it's still present. I closed both of the screws and the bike  ran rough but did not stall.   Seems like I am running to rich? I have not touched the pilots or the needles  since the cam install. 

In reply toRe: msg 20
Vadose

6/16/21

Forgot to mention the PMS screws are Timb's screws

RCCola45

6/17/21

If your using Tim's PMS screws,  pretty sure they were set to 1/2 the normal of OEM so once you lightly seated them ... open them up 1 and 1/2 turn ... should be perfect.

Vadose

6/17/21

I had them at  at that setting at one point but now have them only 1/4 turn out and some of the stumbling at high RPMs has smoothed out but still is present.

Donn (99Orton)

6/17/21

Ok my set up was, Pods, Tims cams, dyna set at curve 5, 157.5 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2 shims on the needles, tims screws set at 3/4 of a turn out. She ran like a raped ape! sounds like you are getting close.

In reply toRe: msg 24
LordRamiro

6/29/21

I know I'm fairly new on this forum, but in My video viewings I found this,

I don't  know if it's pertinent in your case, but still, since it seems to baffle a lot of people, I told Myself, why not add My 2 cents ;)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwipr5vCpb3xAhW_FFkFHVIODW8QtwIwAHoECAoQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DngJZbXsIWjw&usg=AOvVaw23mVTsVdKQBOvpyJb1z_Os

This guy had a strange electrical issue, thought it might be related with the symptoms you are describing

Vadose

6/29/21

Thanks for the link! I am going to put the stock coils back in to see if that is the problem. I have Nology coils installed now and they have been installed  for 15 years.  I thought I had a different manufacture coil installed but I was wrong. Bike runs great up to 5000 rpms or so . If I ease  throttle acceleration and not open it up all the way quickly it runs pretty well at high RPMs. I will update my findings.

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

There were  few guys that tried those coils years ago.....there was enough of a failure rate that most steered clear.

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Same to you Donn! Keep it smokey!