The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Engine cuts out at 5000 RPMs   Tuning&Exhaust:99-05 non cal

Started Jun-8 by Vadose; 3059 views.
Vadose

Oct-24

Well I am still searching for the cause of the bike bogging down at high RPM`s. I  replaced the Nology coils and wires last week.  I thought maybe the coils were failing  under heavy acceleration. Installed Dynatek coils and wires and new spark plugs.  I also replaced the fuel filter and checked the gas petcock for blockage. The motor still bogs down under heavy acceleration. If I back off the throttle ever so slightly at high RPM`s the motor kicks in again. I guess it wasn't the coils. It seems like it is starving for more gas and when I lay off the throttle a bit the motor resumes acceleration. I checked and rechecked the valve adjustment after the 440  Cam install.  Could the valves still not be adjusted right?  Would  an out of spec valve  cause this symptom? I do not hear the slight ticking noise I used to hear in the engine before the valve adjustment. Are they too tight? I went right in the middle specs for the adjustment.  Could the main jets be too small thus starving the engine of gas under load? I have 157.5 mains installed as per Timb suggestion with the pods and 440  cams. 

I also installed new  OEM boots going from the carbs into the motor. The original ones had cracks but the  cracks were only on the outside. I did this when I had the engine apart for the cam install. Everything looks sealed up well .  I did not spray anything on them to check for air leaks though. The bike really does runs great until I really get on it.  I am just about ready to give up on the remedy and live with it but it bugs the crap out of me knowing that something is not quite right with the tuning. LOL.

• Edited October 24, 2021 4:36 pm  by  Vadose
yama_hammer

Oct-24

Try putting  the the choke (enrichener) on and go for a heavy acceleration run, if bogging subsides your mains are too small. The knowledge base says to start with #160s so you can just start there.

Vadose

Oct-24

Thanks the suggestion! That's one thing I have not tried yet. I was gonna install 160 mains and see if that remedied the loss of power. I am just tired of taking the carbs out of the bike. Lol. I will try the choke on and ride it.  If it does not bog down I will go up to 160 mains.

• Edited October 24, 2021 1:44 pm  by  Vadose

Where are you? Carbs are in sync? Do not mess with the jetting, no where is a 160 needed. What year is the bike? Do not listen to other people's guesses.

Vadose

Oct-25

Hi Tim. I am in Ohio. The carbs are synced. I am just baffled of why the power loss.  My only thought was the valves   are not adjusted right.   Any more suggestions?  The bike runs great until I really get in it reaching high RPM's of 6000 or so. I have a Dyna ignition installed but it was doing it with the stock one as well.

What year is the bike? What settings are you using on the Dyna? Have you OHMed the TPS?

Do you have a tach installed?

Donn (99Orton)

Oct-25

Are you sure you aren't hitting the limiter?

Vadose

Oct-25

Yes. I have a tach. I have the limiter set to 7000. It cuts out  around 6000 or so then  the motor kicks back in if I let off the throttle a bit. 

gradie55

Oct-25

when you installed the pods ... you put the black vent line on the right side pointed forward .. has that fallen and not pointing forward anymore... that will cause that... and you should hear ticking from your valves if you don't .. recheck.. cause there probably too tight... and 157.5 with 17.5 pilots are perfect... for your ride..