_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gas pump   Technical-Bikes

Started Jun-22 by Basxvs1100; 390 views.
Basxvs1100

Jun-22

Hi Guys, I have a question about bij XVS 1100 Custom.

Recently my fuel pump has been acting weird.  Normally you hear a rattling sound when you turn on your contact, but I don't have that anymore.  
I thought it might be my fuel filter, that it needed to be replaced.

I had this week a maintenance service which also replaced the fuel filter and there is now a filter with a transparent glass.  When I make contact, the glass does not fill up either, and when I start my engine you see the petrol dripping through the filter.  Strangely enough, my engine still runs perfectly fine, even at full throttle my bike responds perfect.

Now my question to you is: is the fuel pump really necessary?  I know that with the Honda Shadow, for example, the fuel pump is not needed at all and people just leave the pump out there.  But is this also the case with the XVS 1100?

crazeeharry

Jun-23

No, the V star will have problems without a fuel pump, below a 1/2 tank, gravity feed has been tried and failed.

The pump does not always purr on ignition ON, it depends on pressure in the lines.

The glass filter is generic , I run one directly after the Petcock so I can monitor if I get bad gas, in tandem with the plastic filter also  under the seat. 

If the bike runs to reserve there is nothing wrong with the fuel pump.

Read everything here:

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Linked above after "hosted by Sick Mick" in the header. V. Star 1000 wiki knowledge base

Basxvs1100

Jun-23

Allright, thanks for your answer. 

So you say when my bike is running fine below 1/2 tank there is nothing wrong with my fuel pomp? So I don’t need to replace it. 

Even with almost empty tank my bike is running fine. 

crazeeharry

Jun-23

Ride it like you stole it, it's fine.

Donn (99Orton)

Jun-24

The fuel pumps are low pressure and volume. Like Harry said, just ride it!

Basxvs1100

Jun-24

Thanks guys! 

I was worried because the pump never did like this before. But now I know it doesn’t matter