_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Adding a Tacho   Tuning&Exhaust:99-05 non cal

Started Jul-6 by LordRamiro; 4137 views.
Dan (Kamikazedan)

Jul-26

Speaking as a fella who worked on various electromechanical and digital flight control and navigation systems in the Air Force, I have never heard of "DV" voltage measurements. If I were to read that in an instruction sheet, I would assume it is a typo, caused by the fact that the "c" and "v" keys are adjacent. 

In reply toRe: msg 22
LordRamiro

Jul-26

So there would be 2x 12v DC connections on the Tacho if I go by what they give as wiring instructions

Donn (99Orton)

Jul-27

It's very possible to have 2 12vdc connections. You still don't know if it's for a dual fire system so even if you get it connected correctly it might not read properly. Good luck

In reply toRe: msg 24
LordRamiro

Sep-14

ok Guys,

I finally had the chance to try the new cabling configuration I found on the amazon website sor My tacho.

Now they are talking about a high voltage signal.

Where on earth do I find such a wire ??

I tried the input AND the output of both coils and it doesn't budge an inch

I only managed to make the lights go on the darned thing.

( I might have asked though I don't remember)

Thanks in advance

Donn (99Orton)

Sep-15

I'm not sure how we can help anymore. I would have tossed that Amazon Chinese junk in the trash by now. 

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

high voltage signal wire is most likely a wire tapped into one of the plug wires...

LordRamiro

Sep-16

Hey Mick

so I would have to "splice" a plug`s wire to get that high voltage ?

eruby

Sep-16

I think all you have to do is wrap that wire around the plug wire. I would not splice it in.

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Some of the old and cheapie tachs required you to attach the wire to the spark plug terminal....basically removing the metal tip and crimping another one on with the tach wire included. On an 1100 that'll be fun because it's a special tip.

More modern better quality tachs just let you wrap the signal wire around the plug wire.....

In reply toRe: msg 30
LordRamiro

Sep-17

What if I just twist it around the tip of the spark plug and put the connector back in ?

would it be a fire hazard ?