_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Drive Shaft....cover?   Technical-Bikes

Started Aug-29 by OldAFVetProf; 359 views.
OldAFVetProf

Aug-29

On a ride from Tennessee to the NSRA NATS a few weeks ago, I had a couple of problems, one I sorted and one I need some advice on. The NATS were great, BTW...I went with my son and if you haven't been, you should go. A bit warmish, however. ;-)

Okay, the first: my speedo/odo quit and a check engine light came on. Everything else on the IP worked. When I tore it down to the suspected culprit, the speed sensor, I found the little plastic, metal-lined tab that holds the sensor in place had come apart. I took it off, cleaned it up, and epoxied the metal circle  back into the tab, put it back together and tested it. That seemed to work; voltage is correct although I haven't had it on the road yet, because of my other problem....

The drive shaft has a metal cover around it. It came loose from it's rubber seal-looking thing on the rear wheel gear case cover. Now it rattles around. I can't find this cover in any of the tech data. Has anyone seen this/had this happen? If so, what is this thing, does it have to be there or did the previous owner try to dress up the shaft, and where can I find what I need to fix it if that is what is required? If I need a part, what is it called and where do I get it?

Thank you for any help in advance. Days finally look like they might cool off a bit and I'd like to have it to ride back and forth to the University, so any help would be appreciated. 

One more thing...I am a stodgy 67-year old professor and I appear to be the only one riding a bike to the University. Does anyone know what the heck is the matter with these young-uns?!?!?!?

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Yamaha doesn't sell the cover separately. Most I know have just pulled the final drive and slipped the cover off the shaft. No more rattling.

RCCola45

Aug-30

Mick, I never had problem with nut coming loose on the drive shaft and I think you have.   Would it make sense for this gentleman to go back and check that.  I know one of the things that happens to most people when the middle drive shaft nut comes loose is the speed sensor takes a dump.   

Donn (99Orton)

Aug-30

It's always a good idea to check if the nut has been staked. It sounds like the seal cut the chrome driveshaft cover and now it's rattling. How's things back your way?

RCCola45

Aug-30

Hi Donn,  not doing to bad here ... the sweet corn is starting to end, nights getting cooler,  next thing will be the white fluffy stuff hitting the ground.   I am heading in for gallbladder removal in two hours so will be off bike for couple weeks and off work for 5-6 weeks maybe.    

OldAFVetProf

Aug-30

Thanks, Mick. The guys on this site never disappoint. You are the best. 

Dan (Kamikazedan)

Sep-3

I picked up an '09 as a project bike, and its shaft cover had come loose as well. On close examination, it seems that the spring that snugs the dust seal actually worked its way through the polymer and was rubbing against the cover itself. After some unknown amount of time, it simply wore through the metal tube (which turns with the shaft, btw) creating a wonderfully clean cut. 

As for a fix: I picked up a used final drive on Amazon. Pricier than just removing the cover, but I'd rather it was covered, given my druthers.