_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Houston... we have a problem... oil spots on the top of the exhaust pipe and sta   Technical-Bikes

Started Oct-7 by JMK1100 (JMK1000); 186 views.
JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Oct-7

Hello All,

2007 V-Star 1100 classic - bought in June with 7800 miles.  Now 8700 miles (mostly heavy city traffic).

When I got it, I do not know what oil it had.  I was running very well.  About 3 months ago I changed oil, to Yama High Performance Full Synthetic.  It's much darker already.  The motor has the oil filter redirection system installed.  I filled it at 2/3 (looking at the glass).  The level is steady, not dropping.

It was running very well, and starting at the first 'touch' cold or hot.  After a few last highway trips it started to have a problem starting after standing hot for an hour (sometimes less).  When it cools down, it starts well.  But when it stands for an hour and still hot, it takes a quite a few starter turns to start her.  It does, and it runs well.  No loss of power.  No stalling.  

Also I have noticed the oil spots on the exhaust pipe (on the top of it).  I checked the air filter housing.  There is a fresh drip line from the breather, but no accumulation.  

But the starting habit change bothers me.  It feels like the fuel evaporates from the line and it takes a lot of suction to bring it back... am I reading it right?  
When I start cold, I put 1/4 of choke and it catches right away.  
I turned off the engin when hot, and started it right away - no problem.  I actually managed (!) to stall it today in a traffic - it started right away with just a touch.  

What may be the culprit?  If it was running like that from the moment I got it - I wouldn't be alarmed that much - but it started just recently.

Any comment would be appreciated.  Thanks.

RCCola45

Oct-7

Next time you change oil ... add just enough oil to be just a hair below half when standing the bike upright ... use an extension mirror makes it easy while sitting on the bike to check it.   Anything over 1/2 in the site gauge and you will get oil in the air filter.

As for the other hot and cold starting ... some have reported vaper lock ... CLICK HERE for more info on that.

If you haven't clicked on the link above ... the vstar 1100 knowledge base.   DO so ... all kinds of info about your bike or click here

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Oct-8

Thanks.

I have a level attached to my left crash bar.  I just bend a little with the level in sight and shoot a flash picture with my phone.  Always leveled - always clear picture showing the oil level and its color.  
I changed the oil almost 3 months ago.  I filled to 2/3 in the looking glass, since I heard from a few people that it helps shifting.  BUT, for a long time, I didn't have any splatter.  So, how can you explain that?  I did A LOT of heavy traffic riding in the Summer, and some 50 miles highway trips - no splatter.  Now I have it.  It doesn't look like it's coming from the breather - since it was just a little wet (one line, no accumulation).   
When I got the bike, it dived on me on the intersection on the right side (of course my stupid mistake).  The gas spilled from the tank a bit... I have to check again, but I think the tank breathes as it's supposed to.

I am not saying that what I complain about is tragic or unusual - something changed - and I am trying to find out WHAT has changed, and why.  The bike is old, but in a great condition.  Nothing warrants dramatic changes for the worst after 800 miles of mixed traffic.   But it is different.  My skills get better.  I do not ride faster than before, nor more agile than before.  I like cruising.  I am an old guy (although a new rider).  I do not push my bike too much.  And yet, what I described happens and the shifting is louder than before.  Something causes that.   
Thanks for your patience.