MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Symptoms of Faulty TPS?   Tuning&Exhaust:99-05 non cal

Started Nov-1 by CHRIS1037; 390 views.
CHRIS1037

Nov-1

Hey All-

I recently purchased a 2004 V Star 1100 that seems to be in really great condition.  I'm new to all this, so please forgive me if my questions seem a little "green" :) 

It looks to me like the AIS (if this bike had AIS) has been removed.  The leads coming off the cylinders appear to be capped off, and I can't find the chrome tubes that make their way toward the exhaust.  Maybe this is no big deal.

My big concern is that the check engine light is flashing 3 times when the key is in the on position, and steady lit while riding.  The bike seems to be running just fine, but the 3 flashes lead me to believe there's something wrong with the TPS.  I was able to get at the connector and tested it with my multimeter.  I'm no expert so it's possible my testing procedure is flawed (although I don't think so).

I guess my question is this:  "What are the symptoms of a completely failed, or disconnected TPS?" 

And my follow up is "Does anyone have a parts bike with a functioning TPS on it they'd be willing to sell me for a reasonable price?" lol ... they're kinda pricy at the usual places :)

Thanks all!

Chris

Donn (99Orton)

Nov-2

Welcome, click the link up at the top for the 1100 Knowledge base for tons of info on the 1100. Here is a link from it on testing and adjusting the TPS.  V-Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base - TPS (google.com)

CHRIS1037

Nov-2

Thanks!  I'll review it.  I also have the service manual and followed the procedures there to test it.  I was not able to get any resistance readings across either sets of wires in the harness.  I did it the hard way and removed everything and tested the TPS at the triangular plug rather than at the ignition box. 

I'm wondering what sort of symptoms could I expect if the TPS were completely shot, as opposed to just not dialed in correctly.  The bike seems to run (and start) just fine.  There is no hard start condition.

Thanks!

Chris

gradie55

Nov-3

depends whats been done to the bike.. my TPS is disconnected .. but I'm running cams etc.. and the dyna 3000 takes care of all that... if you pull the seat thats where you'd find that under the plastic tray.. 

CHRIS1037

Nov-3

Thanks!

I apologize for being a little green with all this.  I purchased the bike used, and the person I purchased it from didn't really know much about the bike, so I think I'm on my own for figuring out what might have been done to the bike.  I may have mentioned it before, but it's a 2004 1100 .. from what I can tell my TPS is connected but totally failed, and I'm unable to get any reasonable reading on the multimeter.

It does look like the AIS has been removed.

Can you help clarify what I'm looking for under the seat?  A dyna 3000?  I have removed the seat once to get at the TPS.  While I wasn't looking for something like the dyna 3000, I don't remember seeing it.

Other than a moderate amount of backfire on engine breaking / downshifting, the bike seems to be running and starting just fine.

I guess I'll just buy a new TPS and install it in lieu of some other suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris

gradie55

Nov-3

the Dyna 3000 is a black box 4 inch by 2 1/2 inch roughly sits under the seat under a plastic tray...  and the issue your having isn't timing.. its more like a vacuum leak... have you replace the exhaust at all? popping on decel is normally caused by a too lean setting.... and thats caused by aftermarket pipes allow more airflow which leans out the air /fuel mix... so the fix is to open up the PMS screws a to richen up the system... if you have a vacuum leak it can cause the same issue.. so take some carb cleaner and spray around the connections all around the carbs.. if the rpms go up you found it... if nothing happens then its the PMS screws.. everything you need is in here the bible to the 1100..

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

CHRIS1037

Nov-3

Awesome. Thanks so much, I really appreciate the feedback.  I've had the bike for about 2 weeks and haven't made any mods to it.  I'm not sure if the previous owner modded the pipes or not..they look stock to me, but I'm just guessing.

Ill read up on the link you provided and go from there. Thanks! 

Chris

gradie55

Nov-3

what you need to do is, take a look online at what the stock pipes look like, then make the call yah or nah.. make sure you totally understand the starting procedure ... it's different... than most others..