_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2005 XVS11 Midnight Custom timing gear   General Discussion

Started Nov-8 by ChiefGunner; 412 views.
ChiefGunner

Nov-8

Hi All.  Been riding since 1985 and currently loving a 2018 Star Venture Transcontinental.

I just picked up a project bike for my daughter. It’s a 2005 Midnight Custom with only 6k miles.  It’s been garaged but hasn’t run for over 4 years.  I pulled it apart and found the left side (rear cylinder) timing chain gear (lower) has broken teeth on what looks like an outer gear.  Why it’s not one solid gear I don’t know.

Anyways, I’ve got parts ordered to replace that gear plus the drive gear and timing chain per the manual.

I Have never done this, so if some of you “gear heads” have some advice on this project I’d welcome it!

Thanks  in advance!

ABE (spud116)

Nov-8

One thing you should do is check out The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base (link near the top).

Lots of useful info on these bikes that may be helpful on some of the issues you come across.

Bet you have bent valves or a busted piston. That gear & chain do not just break.

ChiefGunner

Nov-10

Chain is fine. The main part of the gear is fine on. It’s just that thin outer gear which appears to be pressed onto the the main one that is damaged.

wow, first time I have heard of that gear breaking!!
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Me too Chappie......no ideas on that one at all

Something caused it to break, it didn't just fail for no reason.  If you turn the motor over by hand & watch the chain & gear, you'll see (maybe) why that gear is made that way. When someone screws up the cam timing & then just hits the start button, things break. I had one in the shop after the local Yamaha mechanics (LOL) worked on it . Removed the cover, turned the motor by hand & watched the cam drive the chain/gear, instead of the gear/chain driving the cam. Had another after the 'mechanics' fucked up the crank  by turning the motor backwards to line up the timing marks, jackasses never admitted it either. Sold him a motor with a good crank & took his for parts.