_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New join to the forum   New Member Introductions

Started Dec-20 by Mark (MarkS106); 271 views.
Mark (MarkS106)

Dec-20

Hello to everyone out there. Full disclosure, I'm struggling a little with the interface here, so hopefully I'm not accidentally posting this in someone's personal folder, lol.

Okay, I've got a 2001 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic. No pictures yet, I'll get around to all that. I've actually had her for years, but we got sent to a job overseas and she spent a long time in dry storage. I'm finally getting around to getting her back up and running now and I'll probably be showing up asking questions on a semi-regular basis. I've currently got the carb pulled off with a rebuild kit on the way and I'm looking into work I can get done while I've got her pulled apart like this. I've built the following list, a lot of it is just plain preventative maintenance so she is ready to go when I put the carbs back on.

1. Oil change.

2. Purge the brake lines.

3. Replace the tires

4. Replace the battery

5. Remove the AIS system 

6. Install a charging system for cell phone/electronics

I plan on performing the oil change, brake job, and AIS removal while I'm waiting on parts. Then I'll rebuild the carb. Once I put everything back on, I'll hook up the new battery and hopefully be able to start it up and start balancing the carbs and screwing with the jetting to compensate for the removal of the AIS. It's been "on the shelf" for over five years though, so I honestly expect to find something else wrong. Fortunately, I live in Colorado, and it was stored here as well, so there won't be the kinds of problems you expect from a vehicle stored in a driveway in Florida. I've already checked out the gas tank and she is looking good inside. So.....what am I missing? Anything from prep maintenance to, "Since you've got it torn apart, you may as well....".

I don't want to get into replacing the pipes or any major upgrades because all that costs a lot more money. I'd rather get her back on the road so I can take advantage of the fact that winter doesn't seem to be coming this year. But I'm open to suggestions to put on my "to-do" list once I've gotten it actually up and running. 

Other than, hello to all of you, and Merry Christmas!

In reply toRe: msg 1
Mark (MarkS106)

Dec-20

Oh hey, look at that. There is an entire section on mods in the Knowledge Base. Amazing what happens when I READ first, lol. 

Donn (99Orton)

Dec-20

Welcome, you might want to replace the rubber parts like brake lines as well. There is no need for rejetting until the intake is changed.

Mark (MarkS106)

Dec-20

Probably a good time to do that Rear Brake Master Cylinder move too, right?

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Do a pod intake......thank me later. You already have the carbs off....