The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Stating problem   Technical-Bikes

Started May-23 by jh35; 527 views.
jh35

May-23

Hey guys, I just bought my first bike at the end of the year last year, and everything was great until it wasn’t. While riding, my ‘04 vstar classic 1100 stalled out. I thought maybe I just released the clutch too quick with not enough throttle. But none of the lights come on and I can’t even get it to turn over. I’ve checked all the fuses, relays, stating solenoid, and swapped out the cdi box. I’ve checked all the switches. I have power going to everything, but it’s acting like I don’t. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m sure I’m just overlooking something, but I can’t figure it out. I would rather learn this stuff instead of paying someone to do it. Thanks in advance. 

In reply toRe: msg 1
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Check the main fuse under the seat

jh35

May-23

I checked it already, even switched it out for good measure. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

So check to see if you have voltage to the starter relay, and at the starter. Obviously, battery cables need to be checked and cleaned. Starter switch can be bad...... as well as any of the other safety switches at the clutch and kick stand..

jh35

May-23

Yes, I’ve checked all that and double checked. I’ve checked the grounds, continuity, voltage. Every relay I’ve found. Is there more than 3 relays? Maybe I’m missing one? I’ve also checked the ignition. I’m getting power to everything, but yet none of the lights come on. Is there more than one ground on the bike?

In reply toRe: msg 5
Donn (99Orton)

May-24

Did you remove and clean where the ground from the battery attaches to the motor on the lower right side?

jh35

May-24

No I haven’t. Someone suggested that to me last night, so I was going to try that today. 

In reply toRe: msg 7
LordRamiro

Jun-8

Hello JH,

Have you solved your problem ?

I am not a mechanic by trade, a light popped in My head while reading you, Ok It cut off while running.... but you say it doesn't start anymore... ould it be that it's in gear and the stand is out ?

sometime going basic is the key.

Just My 2 cents

In reply toRe: msg 7
Jekel

Jul-1

I would go back and check the ignition switch again, try a swap out of it. If you have power everywhere and no lights on gauges or such, the ignition is where the lights turn on. Next, handlebar switches to start.