Latest 9:49 AM by Texpatriat
Latest Sep-29 by Metric Magic (TimB1007)
Latest Dec-1 by PnutsC
Latest Nov-28 by pagomichaelh (MichaelHomsa)
Latest Nov-27 by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Latest Nov-25 by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Latest Nov-20 by tabspeed
Latest Nov-16 by matt1100
Latest Nov-13 by Metric Magic (TimB1007)
Latest Nov-12 by Dan (Kamikazedan)
Latest Nov-12 by pagomichaelh (MichaelHomsa)
Latest Nov-11 by 4Strokes
After a 12yr hiatus, Im back on another Vstar. Sold my 03' (full setup still in my profile) to get a car and have a family but with my wife's blessing I'm the proud new owner of a 06' VStar 1100 silverado. She's stock save a new set of Hard Krome 2.75" straight pipes. I was told they only played with the screw with the black knob on the outside of the carb to tune it. I did notice some significant rainbowing/coloring of the pipe at the bend coming out of the block which makes me concerned I'm running a bit lean. Any input is welcome.
It's been a long time and I see a lot of the familiar faces I remember from before seem to be gone. I'm hoping Tim from Metric Magic is still around (profile shows last visit in 2019 and his shop isn't online anymore). He was crucial in getting my last ride tuned in and was always a great resource for random parts.
My questions/thoughts as I get started:
- What is the general consensus now on PODS? They were THE mod to do in the early 2000's but it seems the sentiment has shifted. I noticed Shane with SS Custom has dropped the "Fat Air" pod kits and PCS has put a notice on their site supporting the use of the stock airbox. I remember getting some real gains using the pods but that was only DYNO'd after putting in PCS X2 cams as well.
- Im hoping to find a more comfortable seat. I was really fond of my PCS "Potato chip" seat but it was a little thin on the cushioning. I did love how it lowered my sitting position. Im looking for suggestions on alternatives since the PCS seat is no longer made. I've been looking at the Mustang or predator seat but they are really pricey. I'd appreciate some input on options. Whether new or used.
- Im looking to build a bagger with large harley style bags (think police cruiser). I havent started digging yet but Im hoping to see if anyone is familiar with some options or if harley bags could be modded to mount on our bikes.
- Looking to go with Apes this time. I know I'll need to extend my cable but didn't know if the cables are pretty universal or are they specific to yamaha/metric bikes?
- Looking for suggestions on places to search classifieds for used parts. *seat, bags, lights, other fun stuff*
I look forward to this next chapter and sharing the journey.
the pods are still the way to go. i think the conscious is that PCS doesn't really know what they are talking about. there is a guy named Craig that sells the pod kits with correct jets for your exhaust on facebook. sorry don't remember his last name. find a v star 1100 group and they should be able to point you to him.
i liked the saddleman on my 650 but my stock 1100 is quite comfortable. so sorry no help there.
Good to hear. I liked the pod set up and the option to put whatever I want in place of the stock intake. Ill look into Craig but should hopefully be able to manage with the knowledge base as a guide.
I saw those saddlemans. They look nice. My butt just doesn't agree with the stock seat :D Very much appreciate your input!
Craig is a thief, I would steer clear.
All the info you need for Pods is in the KB.
That surprising to hear. Although I've never dealt with him, many on the Facebook forums love to buy his pod kit. However, like you said the KB gave me all the info that i needed.
I appreciate the tip. I plan to get things together based on the KB.
I am interested if there are any tips for good groups to join on facebook for info and classifieds, though.
Disagree with him or suggest another product and you get blocked. He took all the info from the KB and the 650ccnd page and claimed it as his creation. He buys the cheapest filters he can off Amazon and rips people off.
Here is our page on Facebook. Yamaha V* 1100 Riders | Facebook Not many others worth a crap. I don't trust buying on FB and stick with known vendors using PayPal goods and services as my only form of payment to protect myself.