POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Weird electrical problems   General Discussion

Started Jul-15 by wolfpaw01; 441 views.
wolfpaw01

Jul-15

Sorry didn't know where to put this.

I have a strange problem.

While riding , out of the blue, my dash will go blank no speedometer and odometer no lights on the cluster and runs like it's firing on one cylinder if that.

If I stop and shut it down and restart it sometimes it will run like it's supposed to but that is fifty/ fifty.

Will the Vstars run with out the dash being functional?

Zonker1972

Jul-15

this sounds to me like you have a poor ground and the electrical is cutting out. the main ground is behind the chrome panel behind the pipes and just ahead of the battery box. you may want to check for some corrosion. good luck.

zonker

wolfpaw01

Jul-15

Thanks

I will do that!

ABE (spud116)

Jul-16

It could also be your volt regulator/rectifier. Similar symptoms, and will eventually shut you down. Easy to replace and about $140.

But if it comes to that get the heavier duty one recommended in the KB and "do not" get an after market one.

Msg 63012.5 deleted
Hally1962

Jul-17

I agree with you but its well worth checking and cleaning  ALL the earth connections  as a bad earth connection any where  can lead to mysterious  electrical  problems 

crazeeharry

Jul-17

Also.... check your Regulator/rectifier for proper voltage. Strange things (and eventually serious things) happen to the electrical when it goes south. (unregulated voltage cooks things)

crazeeharry

Jul-17

How you doing Don?  Hoping all is well with you in the new normal LOL.

wolfpaw01

Jul-18

I checked all my grounds they were fine.I checked the regulator rectifier charging system is good. I did find however that the starter relay switch was bad. Which was weird because I changed it out when I change the battery the beginning of the year. I guess you can just have bad electrical system pieces.

Thanks for all the help it was much appreciated.

ABE (spud116)

Jul-19

Doing good, looking forward to the Iron Horse trip we're doing  in 3 weeks.

Still working but all is well. Hope all great with you.