_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Jetting    Tuning&Exhaust:99-05 non cal

Started Jul-20 by steve (sbpriestley); 503 views.
steve (sbpriestley)

Jul-20

Any recommendations for jet sizes . I’m putting stock pipes on a 2003 v star .

I have the AIS removed and was told stock jets ran too lean  .At the moment the jetting for my old cobra pipes are still in and once I install the stock pipes I don’t think they will do . I’ll need to order parts to get to my mechanic if I need to change them .  I don’t mind changing the pipes but I have no desire to mess with the carbs . 

RCCola45

Jul-20

If you Cobra pies are slip-ons then you would most likely not have to change jetting.   It would be good to check.   Recommended stock is 17.5 pilot jets and 112.5 for the front and 110 for rear.    If you order the jets make sure they are the small Mikuni jets.   They can be gotten at most places that work on Harley bikes or ordered from like Phat Performance.    Don't let the mechanic talk you into anything other than Mikuni jets ... they will try and sell ya a kit that is junk.   The 4 jets I posted should cost ya maybe 20 bucks or so.   

As far as you having a mechanic do it ... click here for step by step with pictures that most everyone here used to start working on there bikes.

• Edited July 20, 2020 3:04 pm  by  RCCola45
Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Without knowing what's in there now, it hard to give you a recommendation. Like RCCola says, it's easiest to stick with Mikuni jets....but most shops will sell you an expensive "kit" that costs about $75, then throw away $60 of the kit.

With that said, being a little rich isn't going to hurt anything. Just ride it a while, then check the plugs. Usually a slight PMS adjustment is all that's needed.

steve (sbpriestley)

Jul-21

Thanks for the input. I got the same numbers from the knowledge base that I checked out   That seems to be standard   I thought maybe there was something different. I was told that ill probably only need to change the main jets .is this true ?

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

As long as you stll have stock pilots.....yes

smilermike

Jul-24

yeah been here 10 years, i don't do songkran! that's for crazy people, but slowly dyeing off thank god!

Im up in the north east "Udonthani"  Outside of the cities its ok to ride, but, you have to still have your wits about you . Defensive driving comes to mind 555

RobertS0307

Jul-29

Also, if you change the jets be sure to reset the PMS, I think factory is 2 and a half turns from lightly bottomed.  Though gotta admit don’t know why you would want to change them .

In reply toRe: msg 8
RobertS0307

Jul-29

Also, is your air intake stock or aftermarket?  That will also affect the jet size you should use.  

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Stock jets are what they are....the carb is tuned to the lean side on a stock bike. Simple tuning will cure it......no need to mess with jets.