_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Houston... we have a problem... oil spots on the top of the exhaust pipe and sta   Technical-Bikes

Started Oct-7 by JMK1100 (JMK1000); 448 views.
RCCola45

Oct-7

Next time you change oil ... add just enough oil to be just a hair below half when standing the bike upright ... use an extension mirror makes it easy while sitting on the bike to check it.   Anything over 1/2 in the site gauge and you will get oil in the air filter.

As for the other hot and cold starting ... some have reported vaper lock ... CLICK HERE for more info on that.

If you haven't clicked on the link above ... the vstar 1100 knowledge base.   DO so ... all kinds of info about your bike or click here

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Oct-8

Thanks.

I have a level attached to my left crash bar.  I just bend a little with the level in sight and shoot a flash picture with my phone.  Always leveled - always clear picture showing the oil level and its color.  
I changed the oil almost 3 months ago.  I filled to 2/3 in the looking glass, since I heard from a few people that it helps shifting.  BUT, for a long time, I didn't have any splatter.  So, how can you explain that?  I did A LOT of heavy traffic riding in the Summer, and some 50 miles highway trips - no splatter.  Now I have it.  It doesn't look like it's coming from the breather - since it was just a little wet (one line, no accumulation).   
When I got the bike, it dived on me on the intersection on the right side (of course my stupid mistake).  The gas spilled from the tank a bit... I have to check again, but I think the tank breathes as it's supposed to.

I am not saying that what I complain about is tragic or unusual - something changed - and I am trying to find out WHAT has changed, and why.  The bike is old, but in a great condition.  Nothing warrants dramatic changes for the worst after 800 miles of mixed traffic.   But it is different.  My skills get better.  I do not ride faster than before, nor more agile than before.  I like cruising.  I am an old guy (although a new rider).  I do not push my bike too much.  And yet, what I described happens and the shifting is louder than before.  Something causes that.   
Thanks for your patience.

In reply toRe: msg 1
JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Nov-2

Just an update on the engine starting after a short (1/2 - 1 hour) stop.  
When the weather got a bit coder, all the problem with starting disappeared.  I didn't have time to change anything before it leveled up.  My assumption is that the culprit WAS the Winter bland of the gasoline in a still warm period.  No other explanation.  The engine works the same way as it did beforehand.  Just an easy start.
Thanks to all who voiced their opinions.  It helped.

gradie55

Nov-3

Have you touched the carbs.... looked at them... you should try a quick sync... and see where they are...

the valve cover a rectangle cover, their 4 of them ... a normal leaking spot.. the cover takes 7 lbs and has an O ring seal remove and replace, just take them to any auto repair store and match them up .. buy 5 that way you always have a replacement..

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Nov-3

Thanks, I will have to try it.  But my culprit was (as far as oil spotting) too much oil, and (!) a slight loosening of the external oil filter (I have a Baron oil filter relocation kit). Apparently the oil pump works well, so with the highway speed, I got a bit oil out through the thread.  My fault - I should have made sure that everything was tight...  After I tightened it up, and cleaned the engine, no oil spotting any more. 
I am on a crush course of learning...