Politics and Government -  People will die w/o access to healthcare (92 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-19 10:04 AM 
To: All  (1 of 3) 

The Hill:

Take a moment to consider some remarks made recently by House Republicans:  

• "Nobody dies because they don't have access to healthcare."
  • Poor people “just don’t want healthcare and aren’t going to take care of themselves.” 
  • “Rather than getting that new iPhone that they just love and they want to spend hundreds of dollars on, maybe they should invest in their own health care.”

Sometimes, people make regrettable statements based on ignorance or lack of personal experience. But do we really believe that is the case here? Who among us has never had a loved one touched by cancer? Don’t we all know someone whose life was saved because they had the right test at the right moment?  Isn’t good health at the top of everyone’s wish list?

These statements were not just unfortunate slips of the tongue. Instead, the statements are a window into a broader ideology based on the belief that people are deserving of healthcare, happiness – and even life – only if they can afford it. 

I served as an emergency physician for 10 years. Here’s what I know beyond a shadow of a doubt:

First, thousands of Americans die because they don’t have access to health care. That’s a fact. 

full article here

Reply   Options 

From: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-21 4:15 PM 
To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 3) 
 43717.2 in reply to 43717.1 

Words are important here. "Access to healthcare" is not the same as "being able to afford healthcare". Republicans are saying everybody will have access to healthcare. Like we all have access to buying a Ferrari. Being able to afford it is the problem.

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-21 5:16 PM 
To: HWPeeler (HPeeler) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 3) 
 43717.3 in reply to 43717.2 

HWPeeler (HPeeler) said...

Words are important here. "Access to healthcare" is not the same as "being able to afford healthcare". Republicans are saying everybody will have access to healthcare. Like we all have access to buying a Ferrari. Being able to afford it is the problem.

I know, but the GOPer couldn't even get that right. He missed the talking point that says AHCA provides access to everyone, but only if you can afford it

Forum Host, Liberal Heaven
Assistant Moderator,YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.