Media Matters -  Media reporting In the eye of Irma (40 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-11 10:04 AM 
To: All  (1 of 2) 

Reliable Sources newsletter:

The reporters assigned to Naples experienced something rare on Sunday: A direct hit from the eyewall of a major hurricane, followed by the relatively calm eye, followed by the backside of the storm, live on TV. CNN's Chris Cuomo and Ed Lavandera, NBC's Kerry Sanders and Chris Hayes, and Fox's Steve Harrigan and Griff Jenkins were among the crews in Naples when it hit. "The wind noise is just actually incredible," Sanders said. On CNN and Fox, the anchors went quiet for a bit so viewers could hear it for themselves.

This was Hurricane Irma's second landfall... the first came at Cudjoe Key on Sunday morning... but I'm not aware of any journalists who were there. Several storm chasers were in Key West and Big Pine Key... and reporters like CNN's Bill Weir were in Key Largo... so we'll learn a lot more about the condition of the beloved Keys on Monday morning.

I'm sure I missed a lot of stunning live shots. But with that caveat: The Weather Channel's Mike Bettes had the single scariest view of Irma that I saw. He was parked along US-41 north of downtown Naples. His crew stayed inside the SUV while he stepped out into the 100+ mph winds.

-- ABC's Tom Llamas experienced something similar 2.5 hours later in Fort Myers... He said Irma was "shredding" Fort Myers...

-- CNN's Chris Cuomo and Ed Lavandera were slammed by the eyewall in Naples... and then experienced the relative calm of the eye... during the 4pm hour...

-- Reiterating what I said on Twitter: Spare a thought for the photojournalists and audio engineers and technicians keeping these TV crews on the air...

-- What made CNN unique: Virtually all of its coverage was co-anchored from cities throughout Florida. Victor Blackwell, Chris Cuomo, and John Berman all started at 5am... I last saw Berman on air around 3:30pm... I think Cuomo signed off at 7pm...Right now Anderson Cooper is leading the coverage from Tampa...

-- Shep Smith anchored for 10 hours straight... 8am til 6pm... from his "Fox News Deck" in NYC...

-- Brian Williams anchored on MSNBC from 11am til 5pm, and resumed at 8pm... Ali Velshi handled the morning and early evening shifts...

-- The broadcast network anchors have appeared on morning, afternoon and evening programming as well. Lester Holt in Tampa... ABC's David Muir in Naples... CBS's Jeff Glor in Tampa...

-- While some folks will get a few hours of sleep, the cablers will be live all night long... and the marathon will resume on Monday... for instance, NBC will have a special edition of "Today" with Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie from 6am til 10am...

Reply   Options 

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-11 10:12 AM 
To: All  (2 of 2) 
 45494.2 in reply to 45494.1 

More Irma coverage notes from Reliable Sources newsletter. I have a couple of friends in Florida (one in St. Pete and one in Daytona Beach) who were in Irma's path and they mostly watched the local station coverage. For those actually on the ground and in the area, the local had the best and latest info, including shelters, power outages, etc.

Coverage notes

-- I noticed MSNBC simulcasting key live shots from The Weather Channel, including Mike Seidel in Miami in the morning and Mike Bettes in Naples in the afternoon...

-- From time to time Fox News dipped into Fox's powerhouse Miami station WSVN... I appreciated the opportunities to see local coverage...

-- ABC, NBC, CBS aired many extra hours of coverage on Sunday... NBC says it's up to "12 special reports" so far...

-- The Weather Channel, CNN and others dropped the cable paywall at the height of the storm, so anyone could stream the live coverage without a username/password...

-- CNN.com offered a text-only version of its web site... easier to load in low-bandwidth areas...

-- How'd the WashPost's video unit cover the hurricane? Poynter's James Warren has a look here...

For some of the millions of people without power, TV wasn't an option, but radio was... WSVN's Brian Entin tweeted that he was trying to be descriptive in his coverage: "Weird to think almost all of our viewers can't see us and are listening on the radio."

South Florida's NPR station WLRN was knocked off the airwaves on Sunday... but NPR PR says "you can listen to them on the WLRN.org stream, the WLRN app, the Florida Storms app, and the NPR One app..."

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.