Politics and Government -  COVID czar holds $ in vaccine stock (99 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-17 9:44 AM 
To: All  (1 of 4) 

Huffpost:

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) has slammed COVID-19 vaccine czar Moncef Slaoui’s “huge conflict of interest” after required federal filings revealed he holds $10 million in stock options in one of the companies working to develop a COVID-19 vaccine.

Warren demanded that Slaoui “divest immediately.”

Slaoui, a former pharmaceutical executive, was named “chief scientist” on Friday for President Donald Trump’s “Operation Warp Speed,” a COVID-19 vaccine development operation. In order to take the new role, he stepped down from his position on the board of directors of biotech company Moderna Inc., which is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. But Slaoui still owns 155,000 Moderna stock options, totaling more than $10 million as of Friday, according to Business Insider.

Slaoui’s economic interest in the company could influence government support for Moderna over other companies that may be more successful in their hunt for a vaccine.

Moderna last month announced that it received $483 million in federal funding for vaccine development, which sent its stocks up 15%, CNBC reported.

Reply   Options 

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 4) 
 55860.2 in reply to 55860.1 

Wait a second. I'm not sure on this one. I think I'm a Democrat but I'm not sure. Seriously, I'm not sure what the hell I am. A "common-senser" might be a better description. Anyway, if someone with a shit-ton of money to gain (or lose) is put in charge of developing a vaccine, would it not be in their best interest to make that happen as quickly and efficiently as possible. I know I'd be motivated. What's the problem?

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-19 6:08 PM 
To: GregG3  (3 of 4) 
 55860.3 in reply to 55860.2 

It is a clear conflict of interest - that is common sense. 

Click Below for my Forums:

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 4) 
 55860.4 in reply to 55860.1 

This whole administration is one big conflict of interest.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.