Hot Off The Presses -  Heroes stopped Monterey Park shooter (121 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-23 9:09 AM 
To: All  (1 of 7) 

USA Today:

Two brave community members disarmed the Monterey Park, California, mass shooting suspect at a second dance studio after the deadly rampage and prevented further carnage, authorities said Sunday evening.

What to know: About 20 to 30 minutes after the suspected gunman killed 10 people at Star Ballroom Dance Studio in Monterey Park, California, 72-year-old Huu Can Tran entered Lai Lai Ballroom & Dance Studio in Alhambra, California, with a gun and likely intending to shoot again, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna. Two individuals at Lai Lai wrestled the firearm from the suspect, and he fled in a white van, according to Luna.

What police say: Tran was discovered in a white van in the nearby town of Torrance, California, where authorities found him dead of a self-inflicted gunshot. The two individuals who disarmed the gunman prevented additional carnage, Luna said. "He was disarmed by two community members who I consider heroes because they saved lives. This could have been much worse." 

Still unknown: Authorities have yet to discover a possible motive for the violence, including whether the shooting could have been a hate crime. "We want to know how something this awful can happen," Luna said

Reply   Options 

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 7) 
 64041.2 in reply to 64041.1 

Maybe a Death Wish related to the Chinese New Year? Maybe he was terminally-ill and decided to end his own life, taking others (innocents) with him.

"While Tran was never violent to her, she said he could be quick to anger."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/01/23/us/huu-can-tran-monterey-park-shooting-what-we-know/index.html

• Edited January 23, 2023 9:19 am  by  MEDDLY

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-23 9:19 AM 
To: MEDDLY  (3 of 7) 
 64041.3 in reply to 64041.2 

very strange that the gunman targeted ballroom dance halls?

Click Below for my Forums:

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 7) 
 64041.4 in reply to 64041.3 

Not very strange- a "target rich" venue is a target rich venue, whatever it might be; a grocery store, Walmart, school, church, theatre. bar, dance hall or whatever.

BUT In light of recent reports of more and more anti-Asian incidents, maybe the shooter figured this was a way to kill two birds with one stone: Show that he, for one, could prove that Asians like himself could truly assimilate into American culture by killing people at (not quite) random,  and do so by doing it to the current fad "hated group"- Asians.

;;

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 7) 
 64041.5 in reply to 64041.3 

Not very strange- a "target rich" venue is a target rich venue, whatever it might be; a grocery store, Walmart, school, church, theatre. bar, dance hall or whatever.

BUT In light of recent reports of more and more anti-Asian incidents, maybe the shooter figured this was a way to kill two birds with one stone: Show that he, for one, could prove that Asians like himself could truly assimilate into American culture by killing people at (not quite) random,  and do so by doing it to the current fad "hated group"- Asians.

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-23 9:51 AM 
To: Oomp (AstroLib)  (6 of 7) 
 64041.6 in reply to 64041.4 

I don't see it as a target rich venue. How many ballroom dance halls are there? I suspect the motive is more personal

Click Below for my Forums:

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 7) 
 64041.7 in reply to 64041.6 

I also think the motive is personal, but in that neighborhood, dance halls are very popular with the Asian community, especially seniors. it's sort of like a community center for them. 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.