Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

Railroad News and History

Hosted by Feisty Old Broad Shorty (TOILETHEA1)

News about the railroad industry, mostly freight trains.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Amtrak’s NEW Siemens Venture Cars | A Gr   Amtrak

Started Jul-3 by WALTER784; 62 views.
WALTER784
Staff

Jul-3

Amtrak’s NEW Siemens Venture Cars | A Great Train | Wolverine 350 Chicago - Kalamazoo

FWIW

Nice!  Not bad for coach!

WALTER784
Staff

Jul-3

For sure... but I'll wait until they upgrade the other cars first before I ride!

FWIW

I'll agree with you on that!

Ishmael112

Jul-12

I've been waiting to see the new Siemens Venture cars so I appreciate this video.  The seats do seem comfortable enough.  Leg room is important.  I've been concerned that the seats are not as wide as Amfleet seats but Tom and Lindsey seemed quite comfortable in them.  I prefer open overhead luggage racks as they are easier to use and more flexible than ones that are closed so I appreciate the traditional approach here.  The outlet in the middle is better than having outlets on the wall because you don't disturb your seatmate as much.  

The one thing I wonder is whether these seats can swing around so for a group of 3 or 4 there can be 4 facing seats.  

WALTER784
Staff

Jul-13

Ishmael112 said...

The one thing I wonder is whether these seats can swing around so for a group of 3 or 4 there can be 4 facing seats.  

I don't think they are... look at the videoclip below from the 4 minute mark...

It looks like seats in the latter half of the train are facing forwards, seats in the front of the train are facing aft and only two sets of seats in the middle are facing each other with a fixed table in the middle. So if you wanted to travel with 4 people you would have to get the center seats facing each other.

FWIW

Ishmael112

Jul-13

You're right.  The seats are fixed in place.  So Siemens has sold Amtrak a 19th century design.  

WALTER784
Staff

Jul-13

That's what it looks like.

FWIW