Trump Administration -  Alex Acosta's defense falls short (81 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-11 9:59 AM 
To: All  (1 of 5) 

Last night, former US attorney & DEA head Chuck Rosenberg appeared on Rachel Maddow and demolished Acosta's excuses. The claim that Acosta had to sign off on a bad deal or get no deal or no prosecution is laughable. The same goes for blaming Palm Beach county. The feds always have the authority to take a case away if they think local officials aren't doing their job - the US attorney already was involved in the case. If Acosta really felt he didn't have enough to bring charges, then he could keep investigating. The feds have more resources than a local county and there were dozens of victims here, not one or two. Also, Acosta tried to claim things are much different now than they were way back then - it was only 11 years ago. No, things weren't 'way different' and similar cases would successfully bring a conviction with a long prison sentence. Acosta started every answer with "So....." yes, so irritating and condescending, not to mention a tell that he was trying to sell something fishy

NYT:

At a news conference in Washington, R. Alexander Acosta, the labor secretary and a former United States attorney in Florida, on Wednesday gave his account of how federal prosecutors dealt with allegations that Jeffrey Epstein had abused young women and girls, a case first handled by state prosecutors. Here’s how his version of events stacks up against what we know.

What Mr. Acosta Said

“Simply put, the Palm Beach state attorney’s office was ready to let Epstein walk free, no jail time, nothing.”

Prosecutors who worked with Mr. Acosta said that the federal case presented them with legal challenges that made the matter more suited to a state court. Federal laws, they said, would have required the United States attorney’s office to prove that Mr. Epstein, a financier, crossed state lines with the intent to commit the acts.

Nonetheless, federal prosecutors had legal firepower and resources not available to a local prosecutor. That was especially important for a case that presented such complex legal and logistical challenges, involved a large number of victims — up to 40 at the time of the deal — and the prospect of facing the best defense lawyers and private investigators Mr. Epstein’s money could buy. Local law enforcement officials and the F.B.I. referred the case to Mr. Acosta, in part because they feared Mr. Epstein would face no more than a single state charge related to prostitution, which warranted a fine and no jail time.

read full NYT article here

Reply   Options 

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 5) 
 117411.2 in reply to 117411.1 

Okay, I Can’t Help Myself

July 11, 2019 By: Juanita Jean Herownself Category: Uncategorized

Look, I completely understand that you should not make fun of the way people look, even if they’re wearing a dreadful dress or a goofy tie.

Also on the downside of what I’m fixing to do is that you should not horror-movie shame people.

On the upside, there is absolutely no slut-shaming involved.

This, I am told from reliable sources, is a real picture.  And if it’s not, it should be.

https://juanitajean.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/66680764_10156993882816677_346444431601172480_n.jpg

I dunno know.  I certainly wouldn’t spend the night at their house.

To: BlueManDude  (3 of 5) 
 117411.3 in reply to 117411.2 

Image result for the shining the twins images

--Leslie-- Currently in New York City: Click for New York, New York Forecast

To: LB136 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 5) 
 117411.4 in reply to 117411.3 

Or the Turpin kids.... his wife has a likeness to Shelly Duvall.

To: BlueManDude  (5 of 5) 
 117411.5 in reply to 117411.4 
BlueManDude said...

Or the Turpin kids.... his wife has a likeness to Shelly Duvall.

Oh you're right! I hadn't even thought of that. 

--Leslie-- Currently in New York City: Click for New York, New York Forecast

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.