MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Stonestreet Stars   Horse Racing

Started 4/21/11 by TripCrown73; 285931 views.
cigarello

4/24/11

Thank you so much for posting this article; Gary West is one of the few horse racing writers that gets it. Steve Haskin of course is another, Jay Hovdey and Bill Finley as well; 

A beautiful tribute to a true horseman; Mr Jackson displayed integrity and  remained true to himself and in turn  he took care of and protected his horses. I am so sad that he has passed away.

• Edited 4/24/2011 1:53 pm ET by cigarello
GreybirdK

4/24/11

This is from the Blood Horse story about Jaycito being withdrawn from the Derby (thank goodness):

“I want to honor him by having my horses wear his colors,” Zayat said. “I have asked (trainer) Steve Asmussen to get an OK from Churchill Downs and I left Mrs. Jackson a voice message telling her what I want to do and asking her permission.

"Jess achieved so much in racing in such a short time and I would like to do this as a token of my appreciation. We had an unbelievable heart-to-heart conversation in the paddock before the (2009) Preakness about sportsmanship and competitiveness and I had a tremendous amount of respect for him.”

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62675/jaycito-withdrawn-from-derby-consideration#ixzz1KT9s2aY8
Amy (1pony)
Staff

4/24/11

I hope that Zayat can get the permission from both CD and Barbara Banke, I think that would be an awesome tribute to Jess Jackson. I am sorry non of his 3 year olds will be racing

Derby132

4/24/11

That darn foot bruise just really bad timing.  Glad they have made the decision On Jaycito.  I am expecting one on Mo.  Any news today on Mo? 

The tributes to Jess Jackson are heartening to read.  A few dim wits who couldn't see past the man's style to the heart of what he was slammed him so very undeservedly over the years.  The overwhelming ackowlegements  from fans and the industry so appreciative of the man and what he envisioned for the sport and how he played the game have made me very proud of the sport these last few days. 

This honor of a horse to carry his colors in the Derby.  A nice gesture.

Derby132

4/24/11

It is too bad that none of Jackson's 3yo's will be in the Derby but it's also great that the connections recognize they just are not ready.

And Jackson has some really prominsing 3yo's we will hear from this year.  So sad he will not get to see Maclean's Music and others run their 3yo campaigns.  His breeding empire is just getting off the ground, I am excited about it.

Amy (1pony)
Staff

4/24/11

I agree that they are doing what is right for his horses but it is all sad, he will be shining down watching from heaven when they do run.

LindaVA3

4/24/11

That's a lovely tribute to Mr Jackson. Glad they are doing what's best for Jaycito.

ETA: Wouldn't it be nice if all the jockeys wore armbands in Stonestreet's colors??

LindaVA<!--<?FONT />-->

• Edited 4/24/2011 9:57 pm ET by LindaVA3
KYsally (kwsally)

4/24/11

That would be very nice!!!

XXOO

"A few dim wits who couldn't see past the man's style to the heart of what he was"

If this were Facebook, I would have hit the "LIKE" button. As it were, i LOVE this.

Indeed an outstanding horseman and one whose style should be remembered. He ran his horses to make history for them, and a legacy for himself IMO......He appreciated the fans to the fullest extent, as much as any horse owner could. What a man!!!!!

lindawilbe

4/25/11

So sad to hear.  Hope he did not suffer much. My deep sympathy and prayers go out to his family.

Very sad he did not get to see Rachael's and Curlin's foal, but it was a great for him to have sucessful campaigns with them!

RIP Jess Jackson!!

Linda Northeast Philly